Is the dash cluster PCB mandatory?

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
'74 Dart. The reason I'm asking is I've already bypassed the ammeter and have a Sunpro 3 gauge set installed just kinda hanging off of my dash. It occurred to me that the gauges are the same size and the OEM ammeter, water temp and oil/brake gauges. Since the factory gauges are wired in the printed circuit board, if I disrupt that PCB circuitry, will I be screwed on the rest of my electrical? I have a trashed cluster I was going to play with but thought I'd ask before I went to too much effort. Any and all input is appreciated.

You would have to figure out how to deal with turn and high beam indicators. You should be able to dremel sections out of it. You can scrape the coating off the back down to bare copper and solder connections. Anything is possible, depending on your skill level

If you are using the stock speedo, you'll need illumination lamps

Fuel gauge? Oil warning lamp?

You could wire most things directly witht he correct voltage limiter in line (fuel gauge, temp) but like above said...depends on what you can live without.

Mandatory? No. Easier to just use it? probably

My thoughts were just meandering. I've got an hour drive to/from work so I sit there looking around the car when I'm at a light or stop sign. I'm not a purist (shudder) so keeping it original is not necessary. I'd leave the fuel gauge intact. Put the water temp gauge where the OEM is, the voltmeter where the ammeter is, the oil pressure where the oil/brake idiot lights are and rig a light for the brake circuit where the seat belt warning light is. I'll probably just make a plate and mount them fixed where they sit loose in the radio hole as I don't have one anyway. Just thinking..... Might fiddle with my trashed cluster to see if I can get power to the dash bulbs and fuel gauge by trimming/soldering the PCB. Thanks!

E-bodies and some others don't have a printed circuit board. Everything in the panel is hard wired w/ 90 degree booted terminals.
For your panel, You would likely need a board of a non conductive material in place of the OEM. The housing itself could very well have a gaping hole where the gauge is mounted to circuit board only ( I'm not so familiar with the 74 assembly. )
Use what ever indicator and illumination lamps you want ( fixtures placed about the same in the OEM cavity ).

-
Back