Is there a tech article for rebuilding a power steering box?

-

ppsi

Reaction score
I'd like to rebuild the PS box for my 68 dart GT vert and didn't find anything in the tech articles.
Anyone know of a source? YouTube sucks in this regard.

I did my manual box back in 2013 and I found an article on line I followed. I’m pretty sure the article was about Firm Feel which is where I got all the parts and junk I needed. You may not get a video but I’m pretty sure you can find an article.

Check the Firm Feel web site...it may be on there.

The OP asked about a power box. A power box is a bit more involved. I think you'll need a press for some bearings, special tools. The big thing with Mopar power box, is the seal between the high pressure side ( 700- 900 psi or more) and the return is a twin O ring. If it leaks, the return side gets pressure leaking through and can push out the shaft seal for the input shaft. The FSM is the best book for this.

I have a FSM for 1970 and I'm waiting (too long) for the one I bought through Bishko.
I just ordered a kit that includes bearings fwiw. I see that the FSM calls out several special tools as usual. IME the FSM often calls for special tools that are not very special and substitutes are easily available. Those that are indeed "special" I think I can make myself.
I'm glad I tore into my steering gear box because one of two needle bearing cages was broken and the box was not operational. I never drove this car, btw, so I had no idea that it was bad.

Power gear. Not manual gear..

Sorry. I think there may be a power gear article on Firm Feel too.

You may want to call Dick Ross at Firm Feel and talk to him. He may have something you can download or know where good information is.

What’s wrong with the box? Is it leaking, sloppy, too loose? I’ve built hundreds of these and wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself. I’ve considered making a how-to video, but these boxes are way too involved and few shops in the world know how to build them well. I’m all about DIY, but I’d recommend you save the headache and send it to firmfeel. You’ll have a box that completely changes how the car steers (in a good way).

many years ago... My coworker Ken was a very good mechanic. He agreed to rebuild power steering gear in a International pickup for a elderly couple who were good friends and regular customers of our shop. He took the thing apart and put it back together 3 times before he gave up. We all chipped in to help buy a re manufactured unit and get these folks double yoke egg sales business going again. My lesson learned from a distance. I'll never attempt to rebuild a power steering gear.

It is an unknown entity bacause I never drove the car. As I mentioned, I'm glad I decided to go through it because one of bearing cages was broken.
I'm going to give it a try.

-
Back