Is there a true plug-n-play setup for a 5.7 with FI yet?

-

Montclaire

Reaction score
The last time I looked into swapping a 5.7 into an old mope the closest thing to plug-n-play was the Hemitronix setup but even that did not come with a full tune. I know nothing about "tuning by wire" and to be honest I don't want to know, I am just looking for a stock system for a stock 5.7 hemi with FI - plug in and turn the key. I would be using a small block 727.

I know many people like the fact that these systems can be manipulated and upgraded, but I really have no desire to go beyond a stock 1st gen 5.7 motor. I DO like the reliability/drivability of FI and the parts availability of a newer motor and that is the only reason I am looking at this swap.

Thanks

Factory computer- doesn't get any better than that for a stock motor.

Does anyone sell a complete kit, with the computer (modified?), harness, etc? Or do you have to source a specific year + application computer (ie 2005, non-SKIM) and matching harness to send off to be modified?

The problem with factory computers is that they are not very "home hackable," and have issues with built in security crap.

Hotwire will provide everything you need. About 5 wires and it will run....

Hotwireauto.com has the complete wiring harness for $995, $300 for a used computer, $700 for a new computer (they use a 2005 computer). The computer is programmed to ignore the EGR and the two downstream O2 sensors. They also have an optional Diablo tune. If you don't have a gas pedal, they also offer one for $100.

That's not bad. I am guessing that the electronic throttle is mandatory

Not bad? I spent only a bit more on my Holley (HP) upgrade, and I can configure it to operate in many different ways. TBI, multiport, spark control, and many other special setups, turbo, etc.

I'm not sayin' that's "the best" but if you decide to change the engine, cam, etc, you can retune it yourself.

Mopar sells and computer built for plug and play in an older application. It's basically a modified harness that only has the necessary engine connectors and is essentially a rebranded AEM computer. Not sure if it comes with a stock tune though. Pretty pricey as well.

What else do I need for the hotwire setup, other than the bolt on items? They do seem to be the cheapest. Is it 300 to reprogram a computer that you supply, or they supply and program used for 300? Their site seems geared for jeep apps, I didnt see much for component sales for early mopes. $1400 with factory tune seems more reasonable than $2400 for factory.

Hotwire sells computers for $670 as per there website. A tune/flash of your computer is $250.

A harness is $950.

Riddler

Hotwire sells computers for $670 as per there website. A tune/flash of your computer is $250.

A harness is $950.

Riddler

$950 for a manual or 727/904. $995 for newer electronic automatics. I went with a used computer from them for $300 because by the time I found a used computer, shipped it there and back, and had them flash it for $250 I would have about $500 in a used puter.
Contact Chris Squires on their website. He always responds and knows what he is talking about.

So if I bought a 5.7 hemi off ebay (03-08 year), Hotwires stuff will hook right up to it? Do I need anything from the pulled motor, the truck/cars vin number or anything? Im trying to buy all the stuff way in advance before the actual swap.

If you plan to run a completely or nearly completely stock motor Hotwire is the way to go. A lot of other companies re-brand the Hotwire harness as their own, so you might as well get it direct from the supplier.

If you are going to run the factory computer I strongly suggest you simply buy all the electronics from a single vendor. They will ship you a computer that they will know will work and they will ship you a harness that you simply plug into. Yes there are a lot of plugs, but they are all clearly marked and the directions from Hotwire are clear. One issue that has crept up in the past is that Mopar has changed some of their connections over the year, so I would buy my motor first, verify the plugs, send pics of said plugs to Hotwire and receive a plug and play harness in return.

If you run the factory computer you MUST run the factory drive by wire throttle. You can do this two ways. 1. Use a throttle cable to a 2003 throttle box. This throttle box, has the electronics that send throttle position information to the factory computer. The second way is to use a drive by wire pedal. This is a pedal assembly with a plug on it that the factory computer plugs into. When you step on the pedal you are simply sending a signal to the computer to open the throttle.

As far as cost is concerned the Hotwire harness is cheaper than most other setups but it is also less flexible, than standalone setups like those from Megasquirt, AEM, and FAST. The absolute cheapest route to installing a Hemi is to mount a carburetor on it and use MSD electronics for the spark. In terms of cost for electronics and other costs it is about the same as the Hotwire setup, but you don't have the added expense of setting up a EFI fuel system in your classic mopar.

I decided to go with Megasquirt because I thought I was going to save a lot of money. I was wrong. At the end of the day I MIGHT (maybe, maybe not) save a couple of hundred dollars.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

With the factory computer/hotwire setup, can you still plug things like a predator tuner in and fiddle with the settings?

I wonder if I would be ahead just going Fast XFI since I know I couldnt leave the motor stock and would at least cam it and grind on the heads some. Seems a custom tune even emailed is a few hundred plus it might take a few swings to get it right and if you're not happy you are at the tuners mercy. I have nobody even remotely close with a dyno and the experience on Gen III's.

-
Back