Is there an appriciable difference between big name tools?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any appreciable difference between MAC, Snap On and Cornwall tools. They are all very pricey, but other than the name, is there that much difference between them?

Depends on the particular tool. I personally prefer the feel of Mac ratchets. Some wrenches fit your hand better than others, ect. If it's something that you are gonna use/abuse constantly buy from the guy who hits your route most often.

If you like Snap On go look at New Holland tools they are the same, and way lower priced, They ARE MADE IN THE SAME PLACE AS SNAP ON IS..

I know its slightly off topic, but i have to say I've been impressed with tekton tools, I have there ratchet impact sockets wrenches, and torque wrench for the money they are very good value. If I used my tools to make my living I would still go the snap-on route but yeah tekton is worth a look imo.

Snap-on, Mac, then cornwell... good tools are pricey, but like most other things you get what you pay for. I used to think tools were just tools until they became my job, believe me, there is a difference !

Back in the day the difference was huge now days not as much depend which ones your comparing. If your making a living off your tools maybe snap on etc.. is the way to go but for a hobbyist no. Around here a lot of people use Canadian Tires brand of tools Master Craft and just wait for there 50-80% deals and there life time and every town has one. I'm sure you got something similar around you.

There are a lot of quality tools out there. Quality specialty tools is where you see the difference. Snap ring pliers for example, you get what you pay for. Lifetime warranty means nothing if the tool isnt up to the task. I make my living with my tools,and since i went self-employed i have been replacing some tools with better quality stuff. But Snap-On rolls right up my driveway.

I saw a test, somewhere, where torque wrenches from several big name brands were tested. Also, included in the test was a cheapie ,from Harbor Freight. - The one from Harbor Freight won. -- It was not a Harbor Freight ad.

Back in the day the difference was huge now days not as much depend which ones your comparing. If your making a living off your tools maybe snap on etc.. is the way to go but for a hobbyist no. Around here a lot of people use Canadian Tires brand of tools Master Craft and just wait for there 50-80% deals and there life time and every town has one. I'm sure you got something similar around you.

Yeah for the hobbyist it gets pricey when buying the professional brand tools. My Dad grew up with Craftsman tools and it's what I've equipped my tool box/garage with. Never broke a single one yet. I've done a pretty good job getting most of my tools on sale whenever they have a sale on which is a bonus. I suspect Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) tools must be similar to Craftsman but I've never bought one even though I'm in a Canadian Tire once every couple of weeks.

I remember years ago helping a buddy who wasnt all that experienced changing his front brake pads on his 10 year old Jeep. I asked him if I should bring my tools and he said he's got it covered. He went out the day before and bought tools (socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers) from the dollar store. I can say there is a big difference in quality as the ratchet head felt like it 'melted' apart when we were talking the wheel nuts off. We broke or damaged about 4 tools on that job since they were cheap tools. A good learning experience for the owner of the Jeep.

I am not sure of the difference between the brands you mention. I have had a set of Snap On deep impact metric sockets from 10mm to 36mm since 1988. Never broke one. They are all still in excellent shape.

I have a bit of each Mac, Matco, Snap-on, Cornwell, S-K, Craftsman. Each has their merits. A full set of Cornwell impacts, deep, short, standard, metrics, some swivel up 36mm and 1 3/8". They have been beat and banged on used in a press etc. never an issue. Some Mac grinders and cut-off tools, drill, air chisel. Some snap-on stuff, wrenches, Thin-walled 1/4" and 3/8" sockets. 3/4 length sockets. 25 years ago they were the only ones with it. S-K 1/4" standard/metric socket set and S-K bit set(allen st &metric, torx, phillips, etc) in one case. Also a fair share of craftsman which I have busted plenty of it up. IR impact guns and air tools, but I'm not sure they're what they used to be. Also have Snap-on chisels and hammers. Martin body hammers and dollies. The cheap striking tools bounce.

Last edited:
Ergonomics azrew what I take into consideration, I have always liked Snap on first, Mac, Matco, Cornwell inthat order. Things like ratchets and wrenches I dint skimp on, Hammers I will sometimes buy a Harbor Freight Hammer.

Can't say much on the tools, my rule is if it can strip out, like Phillips Allen or Torx, it's gotta be snap on or Mac. For wrenches, snap on are a little thin, they'll hurt my hands, but they do fit well!

For tool BOXES, I will NOT run snap on. The drawers are shallower so you can't be as efficient with your space. Deep well have to go in certain drawers to stand on end, the drawer they do fit in is twice as deep as need be, wasting space, etc. Every snap on box I've looked at is like this.

Mac boxes allow me to hold twice as much junk. The drawers are deep enough to store tools on end

I think a lot would depend on who is available in your area and will continue to be available....many years ago (1975) I bought into the Cornwell system...now that I have moved to a new location, I cannot seem to locate a jobber. I have broken a couple wrenches and sockets...unable to replace the broken one, I have retired the sets and replaced with tools I can get my hands on readily...guess I am anal about matching sets...

Can't say much on the tools, my rule is if it can strip out, like Phillips Allen or Torx, it's gotta be snap on or Mac. For wrenches, snap on are a little thin, they'll hurt my hands, but they do fit well!

For tool BOXES, I will NOT run snap on. The drawers are shallower so you can't be as efficient with your space. Deep well have to go in certain drawers to stand on end, the drawer they do fit in is twice as deep as need be, wasting space, etc. Every snap on box I've looked at is like this.

Mac boxes allow me to hold twice as much junk. The drawers are deep enough to store tools on end

I have seen too many guys buy brand new Snap on boxes and a few months later they are sagging and/ or corroding. I don't know if the others will do it, but Matco will let you custom configure one within the parameters of the cabinet. Even put a little "Custom Built for Joe Schmo" plaque on it lol Forget how deep my bottom drawers are 18"? but I can fit a Stinger kit and a 4 ton porta power in side by side vertically and close it.

I replaced my gray 27" roller with a mastercraft 54" roller. Same height, all my tools didnt fit. I was disappointed to say the least, but it was a gift. Its functional but i had to keep the ugly gray box. Another reason to but tools and fill empty drawers.

agree 100% on the tool boxes, that's why I have a macsimizer instead of snap on ! Much taller and deeper ...

grainger has nice hardend steel that fit snug and proper industrial strength talk to big equipment mechanics best shot

I have the Snap on , well a couple of Snap on boxes, also a MAC single bank roll cab. I never got rid of my first box, and bought another. Dont know why, now I have two tool boxes full of tools. Anyway when I was in the business, I had the "work box" and the "Home garage Box" I cant say I am done buying tools, but I am done with Snap On as I am out of the business. I was lucky to get out by 40 and went for it. If you stay past 40, you are comitted. If I was to get into it again, Id open my own shop. Done with Flat Rate, I refuse to live like that now. It does teach you to manage your money though. :)

As Dartswinger said.
I started working on my own 3 years ago,so quality tool are necessary. Prime example-18 mm flare nut wrench, for power steering. Bought a cheapie from parts store, could see it stretch. Heated and quenched it in used oil and it worked to get that stubborn nut loose.

I was a MAC dealer for 28 years. Hard-line tools (forged sockets, wrenches,ratchets, extensions etc) are all good from the big 4 tool companies.
The feel of wrenches and ratchets is a personal preference. MAC designed "Flank Drive". The patent ran out and Snap On picked it up. The patent ran out again and every tool company on the planet picked it up. It's a great invention. It grips well. Softline tools are made by many different manufacturers. KD/Gear wrench (a Matco affiliate) Lisle, OTC, and Thexton just to name a few. There are hundreds of companies. Most "Snap On" branded tools are made by Snap On. Their Blue Point line is usually a purchased tool from another manufacturer. Mac, Matco, and Cornwell all operate similarly.

my pro boxes have snap on , like the feel and fit of them . others don't compare . my race box was all snap on as well . tools that fit are a need when fasteners are in short supply . hav'n to put back what you removed to stay on track . but my road boxes are everything but chink , never wear them out , they get lost first , lol . thats way what everything road boxes .

DSC09143.JPG

DSC09142.JPG

DSC09141.JPG

DSC09140.JPG

DSC09139.JPG

DSC09144.JPG

DSC09145.JPG

200 for a new set of flare nut wrenches. Helps cut down on profanity

-
Back