Is There An Honest Auto/Body/Painter In SoCal?

-
I find it hard to believe a reputable shop would stake their reputation at this point. I wouldn't. I need to be in control of every step to feel good about applying $4000 worth of paint on a car with my name on it.

4k BP?

Ken, did you ever interview Wayne at Berdoo Auto Body? Mine still looks great (circa 1999). I know it's a bit of a drive -- and don't know if he's still there -- but it can't hurt to call. He concentrated on collision work too like most, but took on my final bodywork and paint.

And after working for the O.P. on multiple occasions over several years, I can vouch big time!! He's a joy to deal with, has realistic expectations, is understanding and considerate, and always settles up promptly. No one should hesitate to deal with @ocdart. EVER.

Ken, did you ever interview Wayne at Berdoo Auto Body? Mine still looks great (circa 1999). I know it's a bit of a drive -- and don't know if he's still there -- but it can't hurt to call. He concentrated on collision work too like most, but took on my final bodywork and paint.

And after working for the O.P. on multiple occasions over several years, I can vouch big time!! He's a joy to deal with, has realistic expectations, is understanding and considerate, and always settles up promptly. No one should hesitate to deal with @ocdart. EVER.

Hey Leanna - Yeah, I talked to Wayne in November when I was getting very frustrated with Shop #4. Unfortunately, he's about 3-4 times what I have left in my paint budget.
He said to say 'Hi' next time I "talked" to you.

...and THANKS for the kind words!

Last edited:
Well ... crapstix.

Not that long ago we used to do cool Benefit Auctions around here to help deserving people out. You've not only been held hostage in Paint Jail for almost as long as we've been acquainted, but also have a rather serious reputation of self giving and assistance that I know a lot of people will remember and recognize.

I don't need personal details but do you think it might get you closer to your dream? We've all pulled together in the past to help our members and I see no reason why we can't rattle our parts stashes and piggy banks for you. Over 50,000 members strong now ... and the Power Of FABO is limitless.

Think about it ...

I know there I a wide vaiianc in the costs of good paints/primers/ fillers, BUT the prices I see people mention makes me wonder IF anyone ever goes to the local PPG store ( or pick your band) or whatever and price materials??

Last edited:
If you haven’t found someone yet, let me suggest a friend of mine. He’s out in Nuevo and does good work. Pm me for his number.

I may have over exaggerated the fumes part but they protect themselves pretty good. Enough to not effect their mental stability. I have to agree with you though. I'm not sure what part of that job attracts those kinds of people. I have to say drywallers are the same way.

LOL I was going to mention drywallers....

I'm friends with a really good painter out here in the Desert. He does some very nice work. Works out of his house and paints a lot of different things from crazy golf carts, lawnmowers (yes custom painted mowers), etc. My best friend needed his car painted and they came to an agreement. He said the car would be picked up in May and done by Halloween. My friend inquired and then went over to look at progress it was moving along in july/august and then again in october and the car wasn't close to being ready to shoot. So he kind of give the painter the business about it not being done by the date. Anyways, the car still wasn't done by june of the next year. We both go over again in september and it's closer to being ready to shoot.

My friend says to the painter, you told me "it would be done by Halloween"

I jumped in and said "He never said WHICH Halloween!" LMAO...

Yeah that went over well. I got a laugh from my friend and a chuckling FU from the painter.
We are still friends and all. Just know that even if you know the guy, it's no guarantee it gets done on time.

Don't feel bad. A local old timer rancher guy paid a bodyman $7000 up front! to do a darn pickup! The body guy was a Sunday preacher man too. He had to pickup the truck after it at for 2 yrs and never toughed.

Back in old home at Missouri out in the sticks, it was no problem knowing a good country shop for realistic bodywork. But I just did my own anyway. I feel bad for people that can afford to pay for it and can't,.. and those that can't afford it, and try to do and learn at the same time!!

02/19/19 Update: Shop #4 confirmed on 02/01 that I could pick up my car on 02/17. I tried calling several times last week, sent several texts and emails attempting to get another confirmation for 02/17 just to make sure - never received a reply. Showed up at his shop 10 minutes early on 02/17 only to find locked gates. Tried calling again and only received message saying voicemail is full.
How can anyone operate a business like this?
Waited until 30 minutes after scheduled pickup time and then left with an empty trailer.
Received a call from Shop #4 owner yesterday saying he left his phone at his shop and didn't receive any of my texts. For a week? Really?
Then he asked if I could be down during the week to pick up my car. He knows I work and have to arrange for time off during the week. He also knows I have to rely on the availability of a friends trailer.
Unbelievable.
A fabricator friend - who suggested shop #4 but will no longer be doing business with shop #4 because of this - volunteered to pick up my car for me so it will finally be out of that shop.
I made the 86-mile roundtrip drive - again - yesterday to pick up the loose parts in order to make sure nothing gets left behind.
Now on to shop #5!
Progress, I hope.

On a recommendation from a buddy at work I had a MAACO do my paint for me. I did 90 percent the of the body work myself and had them reskin a door. Over all took 7 months BUT, after month 3 I went it and looked at the "progress". The car hadn't moved and was collecting a nice layer of body filler dust from other projects. After I voiced my concern over a timeline that was not going to be met, I made it a point to stop in every Friday and check in. After the first two three weeks, they realized i was just going to keep coming back. Car turned out great! The few spots where it needs to be touched up, they annotated it and will take care of in the future when I want to bring it back in.
I guess my point is, don't discount a Maaco style shop as long as your body work is done correctly. They can do fine work IF they care enough to put the effort into it.

-
Back