is there such a thing as a 8 1/4?

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I know there is a 7 1/4 rear and an 8 3/4 rear. Is there such a thing as an 8 1/4? I have seen descriptions of 2 different cars for sale recently that say 8 1/4 rear.

ok thanks guys.....let me ask the question then....how good/desireable are they? Would it be safe to assume not as good as an 8 3/4 but better than a 7 1/4? Did a 68 barracuda ever come with one?

8 1/4s are very good rear ends, most guys overlook them, but they were the replacement for the 8 3/4 when that went away. If one is built properly, you can put a good amount of power through them, Ive heard between 500-600 hp. I am sticking one under my 73 Swinger, it has a Trac-Loc unit installed and should be good for what Im doing with the car. If I end up building the car for any more than Im doing now, Ill go with a Dana rear end.

thanks swinger....I see you're in Lima. I am just north of Canandaigua. You do any local cruise ins?

As long as my car is on the road this summer I will be, Probably the Log cabin, Palmer's in Bloomfield and a few others. How about you?

I have a complete a-body 8 1/4, 3:55. suregrip rear, drum to drum. asking price is $200.00. i can be contacted thru my e-mail [email protected] or my home phone 918-224-4987

Swinger,
I do the log cabin quite often. I've never had the barracuda there, always the "other car". Hope to change that this year....I am real close to being done with it. Never been to Palmers.....when is that? Wegmans in Canandaigua is always a big crowd but I golf thurs nights so I don't get there much.

I believe the cruise night at Palmers is on Wednesday nights, but Im not 100% on that. Its not usually a huge turnout but not bad. If at any of them youll see me, Primer grey 73 Swinger probably sitting next to a bunch of Chevys that my buddys all own lol. Im the lone Mopar guy in the group.

1973 Swinger and freshayr:

Small freakin world..I was raised in Conesus & Avon (I know, you despise us peeps from Livonia High school :) ). A lot of my family is still in the area.

I was just up there on vacation in October. I might have to look you up next time I'm in town.

Oh, and I've got the 8.25" under my Dart. It's going to get a limited slip, 3.55 gears, LPW diff girdle cover and a TSM Mfg disc brake kit.

I've got a 68 Barracuda which has been through a bunch of owners. I've tracked down 3 of them and haven't gotten many answers from them so here I go. I crawled under my rear end And coppied down these numbers.
KD 43

Can anyone help me identify this rear end. The car has a 318 and a 4-speed.

Hi Vortex. Just so you know since your post didn't really pertain to this original post it would have been better to start a new thread rather than hijack this one.

To answer your question the best I can I don't have a cross reference that lists the numbers that you listed so I can't tell by that. I just know them by sight. The 8-3/4 rear has no rear cover so if yours has no rear cover it's a 8-3/4, if it has a rear cover rule out the 8-3/4. That would mean it has to be a 8-1/4 or 7-1/4. The 8-1/4 has a rear cover that is oval shaped with 10 bolts. The 7-1/4 is pretty much round and a very light duty looking rearend. Hope this helps.

If you don't figure it out by this and have a way to post a pix do that. I can tell you by the look of it.

the 8 1/4" rear has 3" axletubes and the 7 1/4" rears have 2½" axletubes also a good way of id these axles, the 8 1/4" rear has 10 bolts to hold the cover and i think the 7 1/4" rear has 9 but i am not sure about it...

A friend gave me an 8.25 that was in a 72 rust bucket duster. It is a large bolt pattern rear probably out of a 75 or 76 a body. I wanted to pull an A body 8.75 out of my 39 plymouth pickup streetrod. I'm trying to sell the truck now and I wasn't about to let an 8.75 A body rear get away. I originally had a 518 overdrive auto behind the 360 in the truck with 3.55 gears. It came out also and i put a torqueflite back in it with a 3.23 Here's the rub. When I pulled the cover off the 8.25 to count teeth so I could find out what gear was in the 8.25 I thought I had lost my mind. The ratio was or is a 2.45 ..... With a 360 it's not as powerless as I thought it would be but it is a great cruising gear....about 2400 RPM at 70 mph. Point is.. be careful when looking for one of these rearends..there are some HI gears out there.

2.45 was the highest gear that Mopar put in those rear ends. It is SO high that it requires it's own carrier. If you want to change to a numericly higher gear, you need to get a different carrier.

I have 2.45s in my Dart right now, and it's not the worst accelerating car I have ever owned..LOL and it's great on the highway. Even with those gears, it'll get up and pass people without downshifting, and it'll still spin the rubber real easy....

I can't wait to get my new 3.55s installed!!

superdart said:
2.45 was the highest gear that Mopar put in those rear ends. It is SO high that it requires it's own carrier. If you want to change to a numericly higher gear, you need to get a different carrier.

Mopar installed all the popular ratios in the 8.25 rear end. The 8.25 that I rebuilt for my Barracuda came with 2.9x gears and a sure-grip (the tag was still under the cover bolt). Both my Dakota's came with 8.25's, one with 3.5x's and the one I have now with 3.9x's.

Agreed you do have to change the carrier if it has 2.45 gears but if it came with 2.7x or higher gears that diff can support any ratio.

-
Back