Is this a 10.25:1 340

-

Newf

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this is a 10.25:1 compression 340?? It is 71' and I think it came out of a Barracuda. I have a 72' 340 original Demon body that I am considering this engine for. Otherwise I may just put a BB 400 stroked or a 440 that I already have in it. The 440 is a 78' smogger though so the only thing I am using from it would be the block that was given to me. I am building a daily driver, first build so any advice would be welcomed, 340, or 440? One last piece of info, the guy selling this engine is asking $2000 firm, sounds a little steep, he says it runs and just needs a freshen up. It has J heads. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 340 motor.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 201
Usually (just needs to be freshend up) means it needs a total rebuild, without pulling the heads I wouldn't pay 2 grand for it.10.25-1 pistons should stick out of block around .035 grand at tdc.

The seller is off his rocker. I've bought running 340's for under $900, and Shortblocks for $500.

'71 -- high compression? Hmmm. if its a post AUG late 71 casting. could be for a 72 model year and that was the "detuned" year. 2K for a mystery 340 is whack, $700 for a mystery 340 (complete running pull) is more like it.

Well.................the OTHER thing is........................ who knows, it could have been bored, and

1 MAY have been a hi comp. engine, but when it was bored got low comp pistons

2 MAY have been low cop, bu rebored and now has hi comp.

Only one way I know of to find out...............

(unless you have a fiber camera)

.....you would have to spend the 2k, get it home, tear it all apart, hope for the best, and spend another 1k (?) putting it all back together ....that sounds like an expensive piss in the wind to me....JMO

Thanks for all the responses, I have to agree, "an expensive piss in the wind". I already have the 440 and a steel crank out of a 67' that checked out OK. I'll think I'll go with that combo, as the 400 would be more $$ in machining for an extra 11 cubes, and a half inch of deck height. Thanks all.

-
Back