Is this a '71 Swinger Steering Wheel?

-

Logan

Reaction score
I want to remove my steering wheel and can't see how the horn button comes off. I'm not even sure if the steering wheel is original. Can anyone confirm the wheel is Mopar or how it comes off? I know there will be a big nut and how to use a steering wheel puller but I'm in the dark about the horn button and how to handle the directional signals. Note there are three allen screws but I'm not sure if they are fake.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 277
That's not the factory wheel. Those look like allen bolts to me. Maybe someone with that wheel can chime in.

That is a factory wheel with the dress up package option. Center cap pulls straight off.

Looks like a factory rim blow wheel to me. Center cap should pry off like CudaJunction mentions....

Don't damage it, as it's VERY desirable 8)

Yes it's factory. Somebody didn't know how to remove the center thinking the faux bolt heads were real and stuck an allen wrench in them to "remove" them.

Looks like a factory rim blow wheel to me. Center cap should pry off like CudaJunction mentions....

Don't damage it, as it's VERY desirable 8)

This!!!

It's a rim blow, and they came on a lot of cars in '71. It was an option that was discontinued for '72, so a lot of cars that wouldn't have normally gotten rim-blows ended up with them in '71 to use up remaining stock. In restored condition they can sell for over $1k. Of course, it costs about that much to restore one. But even "cores" for restoration sell for hundreds, and that one looks to be in restorable shape. As already mentioned the "allen screws" are fake. The horn button attaches with a spring clip to the horn switch, it should pull straight off.

take three screws out horn button will come off one bigger nut in center will remove wheel

It pulls off. Center cap has spring holding it on. Kinda like a hub cap. That's a rim blow, TUFF wheel. Very nice to have.

Huh learn something new. Thought the rim blow wheels where a E-body only thing.

They came on a lot of A-bodies. Originally they were an option, as well as part of a few interior packages. But toward the end of the 1971 production run they seemed to have found their way onto a lot of cars that didn't have codes for any of the dress up options, just plain jane type cars. The rim-blow was discontinued for '72, so they likely just tried to use up what was left before the end of the model year.

My EL5 GT has one, although its not specifically coded for it and it hasn't really been shown to be a definite part of the GT package. I assume my GK6 car had one too, because like all of the other high value parts it was missing when I bought the car. It was partially parted out, so the buckets, console, 8 3/4, and a few other nice items were gone.

yes those rims blows came on a lot of 71 darts. have had two or three with that wheel..

yes the allen heads are fake.. horn button just pulls off. the big nut will be underneath.

last two i had i sold for close to $500.. :)

Thanks guys. I see the wire behind one of the spokes to activate the horn from the rim. I haven't got it off yet but now that I know how it's done I'll go at it again.

-
Back