is this a good cam??

-
Well it really depends on what you have done to the engine. More info on the engine would be nice.

it should be a stock 440. bought it on here, it might be a cop block havent checked yet, also havent yet checked to see if its stock bore, but i think that it is. just looking to spice it up a tad. cam is within budget so thats what i want to start with.

Hey Scampy,

The price seems not too bad but cam selection is so important. The trouble is most people buy cams because they want the hot sounding idle and forget about how that impacts the "whole package”. This cam is not radical by any stretch but would probably work best with a compression ratio of around 9:1. A 2400 rpm stall converter and a bit of gear somewhere between 3.5*:1 to 3.7*:1 with a 27" tall tire type of thing. You will also require adequate valve springs, a descent dual plane intake like a performer RPM and a carb.
Often people are disappointed when they install a camshaft without taking in to account the other stuff that makes the “package” work. Off-idle power and vacuum are probably going to suffer a little bit over a bit milder grind. Question you got to ask is what do you want to do with the car? Are you looking to bring it to the strip here and there? Or is it more of a cruiser with at least a little concern for fuel economy?

I have seen personally issues with Voodoo cams. Chivy grinds in a Mopar?? Your choice though. I would use the 484 purpleshaft from Mopar. I had good luck with them outside of shearing #7 intake lobe on 2...

As far as a "Cop" block?? No real difference in any other block. I did get a 73 Fury ex DPS car that had a 440 in it. Once I pulled it out and tore it down is when I found a Iron cross stamped on the top pad. All that cross meant was it had diffferent sized mains or rod bearing from the factory. NOTHING special!! The only GOOD thing cop cars have are the large swaybars and brakes, thats it.

Hey Scampy,

The price seems not too bad but cam selection is so important. The trouble is most people buy cams because they want the hot sounding idle and forget about how that impacts the "whole package”. This cam is not radical by any stretch but would probably work best with a compression ratio of around 9:1. A 2400 rpm stall converter and a bit of gear somewhere between 3.5*:1 to 3.7*:1 with a 27" tall tire type of thing. You will also require adequate valve springs, a descent dual plane intake like a performer RPM and a carb.
Often people are disappointed when they install a camshaft without taking in to account the other stuff that makes the “package” work. Off-idle power and vacuum are probably going to suffer a little bit over a bit milder grind. Question you got to ask is what do you want to do with the car? Are you looking to bring it to the strip here and there? Or is it more of a cruiser with at least a little concern for fuel economy?

Very well spoken sir!

Thank you very much kind sir, I do try and I hope no one minds my humble opinion. I have built a few engines in my day and yes, I have made a few mistakes along the way as well. I worked the counter in a local speed shop for many years and the cam thing was always a thorn in my side... So many people asking for cams with the bumpy lumpy idle, and so few that really understood the big picture.

Again I can’t stress enough that it is all in what you want out of the car... I totally agree with CUUDAK the Voodoo cam is a Chebby Grind. Although I really like the Purpleshaft cam he suggests it may still be a little hot for a stock setup. Mopar Performance Purpleshaft P4452783AE may be a better choice for a stock engine with lower compression. It's a little milder and makes power from idle right up to 5800 RPM. It’s a 268/284, grind with a .450/.458 lift and has a 115 degrees of lobe separation. This cam and lifter package sells for around $177.00 on Summit Racing’s website. Don’t forget to order a new timing chain as well, and I would replace the valve springs. Although a stock setup will limit the output in the higher RPM range it will work with the factory 4 bbl setup and manifolds. With the later addition of intake carb and exhaust work you will really start to see the engine come alive. Add an 1800 RPM converter, shift kit, 3.2*:1 gear, sticky tire and look out Clark Kent!!!

I haven't got the car together yet and may HATE the cam that I chose due to the low compression of my 440 (pistons are about .180" in the hole). The cam IS the Mopar .484, but the price was right and I really did want to reduce the low end torque a little. It's all in how you want the car to perform.

ok so heres a bit more on what im doing....

i do want to take it to the strip only once in a while, but mostly i want to do my very best to make it handle curves and go to a road track

right now i want to put the engine in with just a spicier cam for now. later on down the road i might bump up the compression a bit (btw what should the stock compression be?) valve job, and thats probably it. maybe much later on i kinda want to go with a turbo or a charger just to see what i can make it do but that would be waaaayyyyyy in the future.

so recap

street cruiser, road racer, drag every once in a while (like a few times a year) im more into the road racing.

as far as higher comp and heads etc. ill cross that bridge when i get there.

also im gonna run headers, and im planning on starting with a four barrell and then maybe going to FI later on OR for show i might go really crazy with the intake, but thats under wraps right now, sorry guys.

also although i know it will give that lumpy idle sound, im more interested in performance not sound.

forgot to mention i want to run a 3.55? gear, 275/70/17 tires on the back, maybe a 235/70/17 on the front, disc brakes etc, coil over suspension, frame connectors etc.

Mopar Performance Purpleshaft P4452783AE may be a better choice for a stock engine with lower compression. It's a little milder and makes power from idle right up to 5800 RPM. It’s a 268/284, grind with a .450/.458 lift and has a 115 degrees of lobe separation. This cam and lifter package sells for around $177.00 on Summit Racing’s website.
Like CarGuy said! Good street manners and excellent torque. The .484 Purpleshaft is a real choppy cam but needs a 2800 stall minimum. Sound Nice but that isn't everything in street use.

Look into one of them Thumper cams. I think Comp and Hughes offers them. Designed for stock engines but you still get the big cam sound.

-
Back