Is this a Mopar sure grip rear end?

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
Seller stated "This rear end may be from a Dodge Dart. It is 1969. It measures 43" from the center to center of the spring perch. It measures 58" from wheel to wheel. The gear ratio is 2.85 to 1."

I don't recall seeing a 12 bolt Mopar rear end. I recall 12 bolt rear ends being GM.

Attachments

• Mopar rear end.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 577
  • Mopar rear end2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 552
Okla, I would sure like a closer look at the pinion snubber area,the axle end and closer on the LSD, if can.

what is the lug bolt pattern measurement? im betting its 5 on 4 3/4 or 5 on 5. that looks to me like a gm corp rear. our chryslers didnt use a round 12 bolt cover.

I am about positive it is a GM 12 bolt rear end. It is too far away to bother to look at if I can't identify it as being a Mopar of some type.

Seller stated "This rear end may be from a Dodge Dart. It is 1969. It measures 43" from the center to center of the spring perch. It measures 58" from wheel to wheel. The gear ratio is 2.85 to 1."

I don't recall seeing a 12 bolt Mopar rear end. I recall 12 bolt rear ends being GM.

IMHO.... No way.... But, you never know, I'm just a pizza maker!

Not a Chrysler rear of a Dana, none of them had a perfectly round end cover bolt flange.
It is a clutch pack type sure grip, guessing Chebby posi.

here is the mop stuff...

Attachments

• Chrysler Axles.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 646
The pix are kinda small, but from here, it looks like GM however NOT Chrvrolet. It would be Buick, Oldsmobile or Pontiac. Yes, they are different from Chevrolet, and there are few performance gear ratios available for the non Chevrolet 12 bolt rear........if in fact, that is what it is.
Do you have a picture of the cover? The Chev 12 bolt cover has an oil "notch" formed into it where the other GM 12 bolts do not. Those covers are smooth.

George

The pix are kinda small, but from here, it looks like GM however NOT Chrvrolet. It would be Buick, Oldsmobile or Pontiac. Yes, they are different from Chevrolet, and there are few performance gear ratios available for the non Chevrolet 12 bolt rear........if in fact, that is what it is.
Do you have a picture of the cover? The Chev 12 bolt cover has an oil "notch" formed into it where the other GM 12 bolts do not. Those covers are smooth.

George

THIS, and I've never understood why GM did this. Why'n 'ell they didn't pick say, 3 sizes and use in all they're cars is beyond me. Remember the "corporate" engines back then? Yep. It was a mess. I remember when GM first went "metric" on oil filters. The Wix filter catalog didn't even have listings for Buick one year. There was simply a big note in the catalog to "refer to the VIN"

Very possible AMC,, Look at the end of the axle shaft,by the brakeshoe in the picture and it looks like nut&flange.

If the axle's have castle nut's with cotter pin's it's AMC.My friend just rebuilt 2 of those,can't really tell by pic's.Worth picking up for the right price.

just me but that sure does look like a sure-grip unit in it... so would be thinking, dana supplied it to whom??

AMC did use the same clutch style unit as mopar. It looks like a rear from a rebel machine or a hornet SST. Good strong rear if it fits. Same internals as a 9 1/4

Are you guys able to blow these pix up bigger somehow? I can't even SEE the axle flange! LOL Of course, my vision is getting worse lately, but on my screen those are pretty small pictures.

George

-
Back