Is this a stock 727 Valve Body?

-

68 Notch Back

Reaction score
I'm thinking this has some kind of aftermarket valve body. I see the numbers 934 cut in the plate which are probably not stock. The first picture was taken after removing the filter.

I have the book by Carl H. Munroe on the Torqueflite a-727 and none of the pictures look like mine.

I know that someone has bastardized this trany because the serial number on the side is PK3496938 3860 1431 which translates to Monday Feb 21, 1972 Dodge Truck D100 and D200 but this transmission has a 19 spline input shaft (second picture) which were only used pre 1968.

I bought this trany on Craigslist and was told that it had just been rebuilt. When I removed the pan, it had never had transmission fluid put in it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TF727ValveBody.jpg
Spline19.jpg

Some time in the early 70's they started cutting numbers in the spacer plate like that. I assume that was to identify what trans type (granny trans, truck trans, taxi trans, etc.) it was for. I have at least 1 valve body with that plate number in the parts stash.

Hope you didn't give much for it cause that input shaft and pump look nasty. No way would I put that in a car expecting it to last. If they put an early input shaft in it they may have also swapped the whole front end to the earlier narrow pump bushing and stator which aren't as strong as newer units

Great information fishy68...Thanks.
I have just removed the valve body and the inside all looks brand new. It has also had a shift kit put in it. That front pump just has surface rust on it, so, I will probably replace the front and rear seals and see what it will do.

-
Back