IS THIS BAD?

-
Probably some hack did that working on it the last time it was apart...dropped it on the floor, tried to "walk it out" with an air chisel etc.

You need to inspect the side axle gears and hubs. They can wear just like the axles. I’ve had to junk some that were worn to much.
Thanks. I'll pull the diff after I've erased some issues and questions about my other vehicle. Can't have both down at the same time...

Probably some hack did that working on it the last time it was apart...dropped it on the floor, tried to "walk it out" with an air chisel etc.
Got someone in SE pa to suggest whose not a hack?
PS. I looked up Houser. He's gone. So no point is saying anything more about his work.

Got someone in SE pa to suggest whose not a hack?
PS. I looked up Houser. He's gone. So no point is saying anything more about his work.
I don't know Houser and I didn't say anything about him/her or their work. Don't try and imply I'm saying things about people I don't know...nice try ...:lol:

Last edited:
I don't know Houser and I didn't say anything about him/her or their work. Don't try and imply I'm saying things about people I don't know...nice try ...:lol:
Really no idea why you thought I was "trying something"
I mentioned Houser earlier in this thead and my point was that there's no reason for me to discuss him and his work further.
You're stated location is in the same area as me, and based your posts you have some familiarity with this stuff. I simply thought you might have a suggestions of someone who is not a "hack".

I've seen splines that were clocked (twisted) 3/4 of a tooth right where they engaged. Figure that one out...? Scratched my head when I pulled them out of my 8.75.....

Typically I see twisted splines when there is rotational speed that suddenly stops. Like high speed spinning, then sudden grip or traction.

How 'bout this?
Left axle. Dana type sur-grip built and installed by Art Houser about 15 years ago (replacing the worn out cone unit).

I removed it because the axle seal was leaking.

View attachment 1715798716

View attachment 1715798719

Looks to be high wear from loading and unloading the side gears. Possible incorrect machining allowing slop in the side gear engagement.

upload_2021-10-4_11-34-7.png

Thanks! The deeper side gears from Cass arrived just now.

-
Back