Is this block usable?

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG
i got this 440 block basically free and was wondering if anyone had ever run a block with a similar problem

If it were me instead of doing something like brazing it and tapping new threads I'd just braze a stud directly in there for a solid permanent fix.

It's fixable, that's for sure.

I wouldn't run it as is though. It might not be a problem, but if it develops even a minor leak there it will be all kinds of annoying. And if it develops a major leak after you've already done all the work to rebuild the block and install the engine it will be a real pain to drag it all out and have it fixed.

Considering what useable 440 blocks can go for you'll probably still be money way ahead after you have it fixed compared to buying another one.

My brother bought a 350 with a portion of the starer mounting hole snapped off at the bottom of the block in a similar fashion.
We had the block machined and they brazed, drilled and tapped it for peanuts ( 50 bucks if memory serves correct )
I too thought if it's a leaking point that's a real fly in the ointment.
You could have some good money tied up in a headache.

tack a stud in there. there are threads to prevent pull out, then build around it with baking soda and super glue, There is an industrial material that is something like iron shavings and super glue to. cures to a machineable metal glob.

Yeah, back in the day we had a set of heads we ported all the way into the water jackets and push rod holes and we built them up with Devcon and raced them for years. I thought about trying that on this one. I gave $50 for the 440 block and 2 cast cranks and the block has ARP main bolts. 440 blocks aren't real expensive around here.

I'm not familiar with 440 engines, what covers those two holes? The reason I ask is because there's plenty of other areas where you could drill and tap two more smaller bolt holes but you'd have to be able to have a couple of flat spots on the back side of whatever covers the two holes??

treblig

I'm not familiar with 440 engines, what covers those two holes? The reason I ask is because there's plenty of other areas where you could drill and tap two more smaller bolt holes but you'd have to be able to have a couple of flat spots on the back side of whatever covers the two holes??

treblig
wow, dont think that would work here !

-
Back