Is this cam too much for my combo?

-

Rockerdude

Rock n' Roll and A-bodies
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It has A LOT of lift check to see what is the max Piston to Valve clearance you can get that will help pick a cam

I've got the same cam in my 408 and I only have 10.5 with open chamber W-2.Very happy with mine.But do check the lift as said.Lash is .025/.025..

I'm assuming the smaller intake valve is being used on the heads (1.92 IIRC?) If you have 2.02s you will have some shrouding (it will clear but they get close) and you might see some power by notching the bores to the inside edge of the gasket ring. I think it will be a good setup. Raspy sounding, but big power.

nice cam for 11.8 compression.

as moper was saying, stick the head on an empty block to determine wether it necessary to bore notch.
and of corse talk to brian and find out wether he's doing an unshrouding cut on the chamber, best not to maybe, stock j's can be a lil bigger sometimes than the 318 bore.fwiw

should run reeeeeeeeel goooood.

Yeah, I couldn't remember which they came with. I thought they came 1.92 (Magnum). I thought the 2.02 was an option on the unported heads he sells.

Without knowing the gears or converter you are going to use, nobody can say if its too much or not! Its pretty radical, I would think a 9 inch converter and at least 4.10 gears--4.56 better yet are needed to run that cam and be happy.

Great guys! The valves are 2.02-1.6 and the pistons I am using are the Forged Icon84660 stroker pistons with pretty large valve reliefs, I will still check the clearance but Im pretty sure It will clear. I was planning to run at least a 4500 stall and 4.30s.

I have a 318/402 and the same heads as you from Brian. My cam has about .020 more lift and a little less duration than yours. It is a Hyd Flat Tappet. There is plenty of Piston to Valve Clearance on mine -- .120 on the intake and the exhaust has .080. , I just thought I would share the info........

Great guys! The valves are 2.02-1.6 and the pistons I am using are the Forged Icon84660 stroker pistons with pretty large valve reliefs, I will still check the clearance but Im pretty sure It will clear. I was planning to run at least a 4500 stall and 4.30s.
I would run more stall at least 5000 rpm.

Good info Mad Dart, your cars are definatly one of the inspirations for my build. 8)

Is that cam too big for your combo???...person you should be asking is the guy that did your heads...

I like the thinking on the build but side with cautiuon on the head choice and its abilty. I'd look at a different head myself. Call a converter company. I like the 5000 stall idea.

I would honestly think the rhs la head is a hard effort with all that cam.... 610 lft and a 1.6...what is that head doing after 550 lift

I believe the rhs head is just the better answer to the piss poor mag head....

I would look into a W or Indy unless you are running in a SS class where it's not permitted... then i would look for the old rare but top secret undercover W

sbmmustang can get away with a lot grudge racing that car...and that a lot can make a lot of $$$$

I have a 318/402 and the same heads as you from Brian. My cam has about .020 more lift and a little less duration than yours. It is a Hyd Flat Tappet. There is plenty of Piston to Valve Clearance on mine -- .120 on the intake and the exhaust has .080. , I just thought I would share the info........

Yup. same heads here in PISS POOR MAG style. I'm at a .600 gross lift and I had about the same as that with the Icon (IC-745) forged piston with you having more lift and my piston being more out of the hole.

Wow, thanks guys for all the feedback.:notworth:

Yup. same heads here in PISS POOR MAG style. I'm at a .600 gross lift and I had about the same as that with the Icon (IC-745) forged piston with you having more lift and my piston being more out of the hole.

I said....that head IS the answer to THE piss poor mag design... That means it is a little better and answers the need for that market..you didn't read that right....

That head is not as big as the LA, not as small as the mag... not as good as a W

I don't know why all, some of these aftermarket companies keep copying/modifying this stuff, rather then copying or bringing back the good AL W-2 or the 5, or make a modified better head from the W base.

I said....that head IS the answer to THE piss poor mag design... That means it is a little better and answers the need for that market..you didn't read that right....

That head is not as big as the LA, not as small as the mag... not as good as a W

I don't know why all, some of these aftermarket companies keep copying/modifying this stuff, rather then copying or bringing back the good AL W-2 or the 5, or make a modified better head from the W base.

Simple. Cause they don't want the chevy to be eclipsed in terms of a cheap power maker. these companies know mopars would RULE if they went and made everything for um the chevy boys have.

Would be nice to see someone.....you would have thought INDY would have made/remade the AL W-2, that was a killer head, maybe even slightly raised those ports....

Edel i was totally disappointed with, they could have made a killer head.

-
Back