Is this cam wiped?

-

dustadude

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm putting a picture on here real quick of the cam inside my 360, when I rebuilt the motor years ago I didn't know to run any additives in the cam because it's a flat tappet. I was wondering if you guys can tell from the picture if it's wiped or if it looks like it still okay?

IMG_20180924_151834.jpg

IMG_20180924_151844.jpg

Looks good from here. Take the lifters out one at a time and make sure the lifters are convex on the bottom. If they are at all concave they are done.

Haven't pulled lifter yet. Seemed to be running fine but I kinda crapped myself when I looked at it. I pulled my intake to Port it and noticed it

I disagree. Yall look at the lifter on the TOP in the last picture. It looks rounded both laterally as well as the lobe itself. Remember, those are the last two lobes toward the rear. On every Mopar camshaft, because of the way they are ground and laid out, the last two lobes look very close to being lined up with each other, so I believe that last lobe (the top one in the last picture) It toast. The only way to know for sure is to rotate the engine on around and see if the lobe peak is there. I am betting it is gone.

I disagree. Yall look at the lifter on the TOP in the last picture. It looks rounded both laterally as well as the lobe itself. Remember, those are the last two lobes toward the rear. On every Mopar camshaft, because of the way they are ground and laid out, the last two lobes look very close to being lined up with each other, so I believe that last lobe (the top one in the last picture) It toast. The only way to know for sure is to rotate the engine on around and see if the lobe peak is there. I am betting it is gone.

I think you may see the lighting effect.

OP, for all our best judgment... could you post a pic of the suspected lobe/lifter and only that lobe/lifter and say.. at 2 angles? Rusty thanks ya in advance! Lol

Actually,... The one that concerns me is the fourth one down in the last picture, in that it has wear across the whole width of the cam lobe (well,.. almost the whole width). All the rest have a nice pattern that looks like the lifter end is still convex and it is turning properly. On that 4th one, it looks like the wear is going across the full width of the lobe, which causes me to get concerned. I don't claim to be an expert though (at pretty much anything).

I don't think it's wiped since the wear pattern doesn't seem to be across the whole lobe (but it's close), and especially because it's running good. I would roll the motor over though and compare the other wear patterns to that one to try to determine if you are seeing the start of a problem. As others said,.... pull the lifter and put a good straight edge on the bottom to confirm it is not flat or concaved.

I see what Rusty is saying, but to me, I think I agree with Moparofficial that it may just be lighting on the top one.

Looks ok to me with better light, and the 5th lobe down looks about the same as the fourth one up towards the lobe.

IMG_20180924_151844.jpg

E0361ABD-3E18-4C9C-9837-156E444557BA.jpeg
2545F094-653A-487A-8F94-21CFA752ECCE.jpeg
Next time you have that engine apart take a die grinder and remove some of of that jagged casting so it doesn’t break off and float around your engine. It’s worth the time spent cleaning it up

OP, look for any indication of flat spots on the noses of the lobes; that is a definite sign of a lobe in the process of going.

do the convex lifter test one at a time and put them back in the bore they came out of put a little break in molly lube on the bottom of the liftr and wipe a little on the cam
no dry start up ever
placed against a straight edge the lifter should rock, if flat or you see daylight in the middle cam is toast
and check your timing chain
stock mopar cams are so mild they can last a long time even with bad oil change habits Ma Mopar wanted no warranty problems, plus weak stock springs
do the convex lifter test one at a time and put them back in the bore they came out of put a little break in molly lube on the bottom of the liftr and wipe a little on the cam
no dry start up ever
placed against a straight edge the lifter should rock, if flat or you see daylight in the middle cam is toast
check for pitting or flaking or rounding on the nose
as you can see the wear pattern is not on the side of the lobe-- if it's running off the side of the lobe the lobe is going
and check your timing chain
stock mopar cams are so mild they can last a long time even with bad oil change habits Ma Mopar wanted no warranty problems, plus weak stock springs
cheers

-
Back