Is this car worth the money, opinions

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I will grab pics tonight, they got deleted off my phone...
Car is for sale locally. Work changed, shorter commute, got the itch for a hot rod to drive.
74-75 Duster

The good:
360, Edelbrock 4 bbl, Mopar Performance finned valve covers
727 Auto
8.75 big bolt pattern
disc brakes
Extra doors and trunk lid
Manual steering, manual brakes
8.75 has 2.76 limited slip (reportedly), and has second set of springs underneath (maybe B body, didn't get to measure), but is big bolt pattern all the way around.

The bad:
No back window. No carpet. No cluster in dash. No HVAC installed. No headliner. No door panels, but started with new wood back plates. Mismatched wheels front and back. Dual exhaust, but no mufflers, cut off under back seat, with turn downs.

The Ugly:
All the bad listed above and rust in rear quarters. Front fenders rough but workable. No mufflers. Needs fuel pump, reportedly.

Long story short, is my commute is short enough, that I want to drive a hot rod. I want to hear the 4 barrels open. I want it to be unreasonable.

They want 1,000.00

Parts alone are probably worth that, but I am more inclined to make it safe, pressure wash all the tree droppings off it, and start driving.

It is all about rust. Look close and the frame rails and spring perches. Make sure no body rust-thrus bondo'ed over.

if the trunk isnt falling out , and the front rails arent bent or rusted out and the windshield is good ....you cant go wrong for a G ..lol

If you get it let me know. I can hook you up with all kinds of parts for it. I'm about an hour from KC and have a complete '74 that I will be parting out if it doesn't sell whole. Has super clean front clip, full factory A/C, cluster, good glass. 318, auto car.

The drivetrain, if it runs, is probably worth what they are asking for the car. I would still try to talk them down without hearing it run. Good luck, and hope you get it.

Sometimes you need to look beyond purchase price and put together a realistic budget to achive the desired goal then add 25% to it. At this point you should have an ideal if it's worth it to you.

These old cars can get old in a hurry if you drive them daily and you have to work on them often. Not saying they cannot be good daily drivers but in most cases they are better as a hobby and a secondary car. IMO :smile:

i would really like to see this thing, and the "double" springs. is that like a stack of 8 on each side?

i would really like to see this thing, and the "double" springs. is that like a stack of 8 on each side?

May have the rare Super Duper Turbo Hemi suspension option...lol

I hope the're just laying underneath the car. If not, i'd like to see a pic.

I guess I need to clarify...
Not a second set of springs, but spring perches. He said the rear end had been swapped out of an "old coupe", so maybe it was thrown into something else? How much wider is B or E body 8.75 then A body?
It does not have any frame rust, I crawled around under it. There is some in the floors, not terrible, but considering it sat with back window open (worthless tarp strewn over it), it should be worse. Between drivetrain, brakes, etc, it is probably worth the price. I am probably a bit leery as there is no cluster, heater controls or HVAC in the dash, plus no door panels or carpet make it look worse then it is.

My thought process is this:
Shoot for 750 or so, to afford the back glass. Give it a safety work over, with brakes, and shocks, carb rebuild and tune up, etc. Reinstall some mufflers, and tail pipes, so it is not obnoxious. Splurge would be some cast "drag lite" wheels with fresh tires. New shoes make everything look better, and it would still be a little rat rod-ish, but at least it would look intentional, and progressing.

If you get it let me know. I can hook you up with all kinds of parts for it. I'm about an hour from KC and have a complete '74 that I will be parting out if it doesn't sell whole. Has super clean front clip, full factory A/C, cluster, good glass. 318, auto car.

The drivetrain, if it runs, is probably worth what they are asking for the car. I would still try to talk them down without hearing it run. Good luck, and hope you get it.

Why are you parting out that car? Is it worth my time?

Am i the only one curious about the "second set of springs" underneath?

Thanks B2b, i understand now. Just havin' a little fun in the other post:smile:

Good luck and if you get it passed mama let me know, i still haven't found a good way to do it myself...lol

Why are you parting out that car? Is it worth my time?

I bought it for parts. Needs rear quarters and full trunk floor replaced. Mice have chewed the wiring under the hood. Was told it ran when parked about 5 years ago. Power steering, power disc brake car, big bolt pattern 8 1/4 rear end. MO title was signed by previous owner. KS is real easy to get a title with a bill of sale, or if you don't want to mess with it I could probably get the guy who signed the title to register it but don't know what he would charge to do that. The only thing I have used off of it so far is the door panels and the headliner.

A wise man once told me..
"Better to ask for forgiveness, than permission"...
So get the car then apologize..... LOL!!!!!!!!!

Duster.jpg

Duster2-1.jpg

Not the best pics.

I will grab pics tonight, they got deleted off my phone...
Car is for sale locally. Work changed, shorter commute, got the itch for a hot rod to drive.
74-75 Duster

The good:
360, Edelbrock 4 bbl, Mopar Performance finned valve covers
727 Auto
8.75 big bolt pattern
disc brakes
Extra doors and trunk lid
Manual steering, manual brakes
8.75 has 2.76 limited slip (reportedly), and has second set of springs underneath (maybe B body, didn't get to measure), but is big bolt pattern all the way around.

Sell what you do not need and roll the money over into what is needed.

The bad:
No back window. No carpet. No cluster in dash. No HVAC installed. No headliner. No door panels, but started with new wood back plates. Mismatched wheels front and back. Dual exhaust, but no mufflers, cut off under back seat, with turn downs.

Mufflers, cheap, Summit has'em for like $20. Carpet, under $150, Dash cluster can be found here cheap enuff, Screw the A/C. Open the windows up ! Then go fast! Door panels here cheap. Better yet, run with out them.

The Ugly:
All the bad listed above and rust in rear quarters. Front fenders rough but workable. No mufflers. Needs fuel pump, reportedly.

Drive it with the rust! And burn rubber while your at it. A hand drill and a wire wheel will fix the cancer. coat with POR-15 or equal. Repair later..... Fuel pump at Auto Zone, $40 or less.

Long story short, is my commute is short enough, that I want to drive a hot rod. I want to hear the 4 barrels open. I want it to be unreasonable.

They want 1,000.00

Parts alone are probably worth that, but I am more inclined to make it safe, pressure wash all the tree droppings off it, and start driving.

Go for it. The back window is the expensive thing. After that, enjoy!

-
Back