Is This Possible?

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
So I'm refreshing a stock 318 with a new cam and a gasket set. I'm wanting a good cruiser with a little more agressive cam but with the stock converter, so I called Hughes to see what they recommend and told them exactly that. I was recommended the Whiplash but I figured a cam like that wouldn't be so user friendly with a stock stall speed, but he reassured me that it's designed for an engine like mine. Any thoughts? I was thinking I would get recommended something similar to a 340 cam but when he said Whiplash I wasn't too sure. If it'll work then I'll go for it, but I don't want to put that much effort into something I'm not sure will work.

It's exactly what the whiplash is designed for. A stock 318. It helps up cylinder pressure and works well with the 318 stock CR. Also gives the car a pretty nice rumble. Check out 318 whiplash on youtube and you'll see plenty of videos.

i too would like a real world answer to this question, yes to being designed for the 318, but stock converter? thats a lot of lift for stock valvetrain, i talked to hughes and they said theres ''usually'' no problem with valve to piston clearance. no guarantee though!

High lift and limited duration with a wider LSA is the way to up the breathing (with the lift) without hurting the low RPM cylinder pressures, which makes torque; a lot of overlap that comes with long duration and narrow LSA hurts low RPM cylinder pressures. So yes, the Whiplash is set up for that.

Look at any of the 'torque' cams and you will see them setup that same way. And in the early 70's, when the Arab oil embargo doubled and trpiepd gas prices almost overnight, everyone was making cams like this for better mileage while retaining some performance.

Yep, check all clearances because the Whiplash takes the lift pretty far for stock valvetrains; check for coil bind and for retainer clearance to the valve stem seal and the guide. Using a lower lift in the .450" range is safe, but leaves something on the table in terms of performance.

Those type cams are nothing new. Crower was the first to offer that type grind over 40 years ago. There's no secret involved. All it takes is a big duration split favoring the exhaust, a little later intake closing event, and a narrow LSA and there you have it. I imagine the Whiplash will be a good match. But the 318 Whiplash, not the 340/360 one.

Hughes ain't reinvented the wheel here.......although they may want you to think so.

I'd definitely get the recommended valve springs if I went through with it. I've seen the Whiplash before and it just seemed like a higher stall would be necessary. Anyone ran this cam with a stock converter? I'd just like a little reassurance before going through with it.

Whats ur stall speed mrjlr?
I have an 11" 2400 RPM stall....and yes, I bought the cam, lifters and springs as a kit from Hughes. Car runs pretty strong!

I'm still tuning on it so I don't know my final results but so far I'm VERY happy!

Jeff

You need to keep in mind, your stock Chrysler converter has a stall speed of at least 1500-1700. If it is a factory high stall, it is more like 2000-2400.

You need to keep in mind, your stock Chrysler converter has a stall speed of at least 1500-1700. If it is a factory high stall, it is more like 2000-2400.

I know mine is a low stall that's why I thought the Whiplash would be out of the question, but that's what I was recommended so it was a little confusing to me.

I know mine is a low stall that's why I thought the Whiplash would be out of the question, but that's what I was recommended so it was a little confusing to me.
I would go for it. ...it's a great cam for your car....

Jeff

-
Back