Is this right?

-

Fitz68

Reaction score
This pic is of my brake pedal--is the beaded chain connected from the firewall to the brake light switch correct? I also found this broken spring under the drivers seat--does anyone know if the spring might have been used insteed of the beaded chain or what it otherwise could have been used for? The problem is my brake light stays on all the time and I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. Manual drum brakes all around and I'm about to convert to manual disc in front.

Attachments

• brake pedal.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_5412.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 314
I believe the hooked spring, well actually both of the springs belong to the seat slider mechanism. I think.
That funky stuff going on at the foot pedals, I have never seen before.
Whats the vehicle? Got a hitch? Trailer brake connector?Aftermarket cruise control?
Yeah, I bet thats it;aftermarket cruise control,brake pedal interupt sw.Just guessing!

The white thing and beaded spring have nothing to do with brake lights. That is (I guess) some sort of aftermarket cruise control

68 Dart GT with the hitch option. It does have cruise control which I'm not sure whether it's after market or not....but my issue is that the break pedal isn't coming back up enough to turn off the break lights. If I pull up on the pedal the beaded line connected to the switch makes the connection and turns off the brake lights. Any suggestions on what I should do to fix the brake light issue?

I guess the first step is to see why the pedal wont return, and park properly.
Could it be that some part of that "cruise system" is hanging it up. Say a too-short wiring harness, or a too-short vacuum hose, or a too-short beaded chain?
Or maybe all that mechanism is just too heavy for the pedal return spring.
Or the pedal pivot bushings are seizing/sticking on the pivot shaft.
After that I guess you could adjust the brake switch OFF set point.
Happy hunting.
Hints;take the seat out,and/or jacking just the drivers side up, can be a real knee-saver

Could the bottom spring in the second picture looks like the spring for the drum brakes that goes "across" the star wheel on the bottom of both shoes???

Maybe one that got lost in the interior sometime by a previous owner...

Could the bottom spring in the second picture looks like the spring for the drum brakes that goes "across" the star wheel on the bottom of both shoes???

Maybe one that got lost in the interior sometime by a previous owner...

figure out how to adjust it !

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get another cruise control switch like the one pictured? Turns out it's not working properly. Thanks!

-
Back