Is this shifter handle correct?

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
Is this right? I'm not sure if I have the correct shifter? The linkages are adjusted correctly. If i don't watch it when I shift into 1st or 3rd my knuckles hit the dash. (please ignore my orange test dash)

The first picture is 2nd gear
The second picture is 3rd gear
The last picture is in neutral

Attachments

• Shifter 2nd.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 398
  • shifter 3rd.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 411
  • shifter n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 400
It's been a while since I had a 4 speed shifter but I remember it being close to the seat in 2nd and 4th gear and no where near the dash in 1st and 3rd.

Those pictures don't look correct but the handle looks OK

You're right. it doesn't look correct. The bend in the shifter handle should follow the contour of the seat in second and 4th. You shouldn't hit your knuckles in 1 st. or 3 rd.

Thats a 68 69 b body shifter way to much forward english for an a body.

i know a guy that has a perfect resto hemi 4 speed RR with a bench...

his shifter was like an S... when in 2 and 4th it was against the seat... that shifter only has one bend in it...

our hurst shifters are very short

Attachments

• 100_3506.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_3510.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 327
My first guess is the bracket on the trans.
I just put my factory shifter in mine, I can snap a picture if you need it.

sireland67 That is the exact bracket I have

I'm getting ready to do a clutch upgrade. Ill snap some more pictures of the shifter mechanism tomorrow night. Do you think that I have the wrong shifter mechanism? The # on the shifter is 7926.

Attachments

• SAM_0543.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 286
  • SAM_0542.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 282
Pics in order
1st
neutral
2nd
last pic factory a-body shifter mounting plate

The shifter handle shown is an original 70's a-body. It is in a Duster

Attachments

• DSCF2791.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCF2792.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCF2793.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF2795.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 278
sireland67 That is the exact bracket I have

I'm getting ready to do a clutch upgrade. Ill snap some more pictures of the shifter mechanism tomorrow night. Do you think that I have the wrong shifter mechanism? The # on the shifter is 7926.

I pulled out a factory A body 4 speed shifter handle from my parts collection. It looks the same as yours in your pictures. I'm thinking the handle may be correct however you may have a problem with the shifter assembly the handle sets in. I believe the shifter that the handle slides into should be close to vertical or strait up in neutral.

My shifter has a #6356 on the shifter assembly. The adapter says Hurst 6350 and can only be seen when adapter is removed from trans.

There are two different mounting plates for the shifter on A bodies, an early one witch Brewers list for 64 an 65. Witch I believe is the correct one for 64 through 69 darts and valiant and the one that has been shown in this post is for 70 latter dart, demon, duster, and dart sport. I could be wrong but the one Brewers list for 64 and 65 always worked better for me in 69 and earlier A bodies.

put the shifter in neutral. put the alignment pin in the shifter . this will give you the correct position for neutral. just something to check while the shifter is locked in neutral position without linkage on it should be in the position of my second pic. Check this before you go further. while it is locked in position with the pin you should be able to install the linkage. just something else to check.Steve

Pics in order
1st
neutral
2nd
last pic factory a-body shifter mounting plate

The shifter handle shown is an original 70's a-body. It is in a Duster

My handle doesn't slide in like the one in your picture.

Did you buy it from Brewers ?

Give Wayne a call and tell him your situation. Hes a good guy,he will make it right.

Everything (brackets, trans, shifter, linkages.) but the shifter handle itself is from Brewers.

Let me get the PN off of the Shifter assembly to you guys tonight I have a felling that's where my problem is. ](*,)

Don't know how I missed this but I think I found the problem. The # on the reverse lever is 2336 (64-5 a body.)

Attachments

• SAM_0547.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 207
  • SAM_0548.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 205
-
Back