Is This the Right Horn Relay?

-

zephyr

Reaction score
I have no beep beep in my 65 Dart so I bought a new relay and pair of horns on Amazon so I can fix it this weekend. Does this look like the right relay? I assume BATT = + and G = Ground? How many wires am I going to have to find a place for with the horn relay?

Thanks

no pic = no help
Oops.

RELAY.jpg

Looks like starter relay to me. Give me a couple of minutes and I’ll get a pic of the correct 65 horn relay.

Yep thats a starter relay. You could make it control a horn or most anything else but it's not a correct horn relay. Dartman will probably show you a correct one.

Here’s a correct appearing horn relay for 65 (and other years as well);

17952320-ADC1-4ADD-A4DA-0CB6692E053C.jpeg
49877E9A-C3C2-435C-9488-94ED73504AEF.jpeg

I “think” the correct color on an original horn relay was gold anodized with aftermarket and maybe called “reproductions” the silver color. Maybe @65dartcharger could chime in and verify my thinking is correct on whether it came gold anodized or the silver finish.

At any rate the single terminal goes to power (from the battery terminal on that starter relay), one of the other two terminals goes to the horn(s); the other to the horn switch at the column. This is per the 65 FSM

That's a starter relay. Here is a picture of mine, '69 Dart, it's just above the drivers kick panel in my car. Yours might be in a different place, but look the same.

20201009_154659.jpg

Oh, there 3 wires. Green with red tracer, violet, black with white tracer.

BTW the horn relay mounts on the firewall more or less directly above the master cylinder and below the pinchweld of course

Here’s a correct appearing horn relay for 65 (and other years as well);

View attachment 1715609448 View attachment 1715609449

I “think” the correct color on an original horn relay was gold anodized with aftermarket and maybe called “reproductions” the silver color. Maybe @65dartcharger could chime in and verify my thinking is correct on whether it came gold anodized or the silver finish.

At any rate the single terminal goes to power (from the battery terminal on that starter relay), one of the other two terminals goes to the horn(s); the other to the horn switch at the column. This is per the 65 FSM
That is the correct horn relay and as you said it was yellow dichromated from factory.

-
Back