Is this what ethanol does to our fuel lines?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I wrote about a issue I had in the past about the secondaries dripping into the carb. It was brought to my attention that it could be because of the ethanol in the fuel. If that is the case, is this what it would look like? It looks like little bugs.

My friend has a 1970 Galaxie. He uses the same gas I do. Of course he don't have this problem. I suppose maybe his lines are newer??

I think I'm getting a new tank and all that. Is there a kit for this kind of thing?

Thanks!!

it destroys the older opaque yellow fuel lines, it happened on my harley, I was just riding along when all of a sudden.... fuel everywhere! when I replaced it the old line just crumbled if you touched it

CT has used 10% ethanol as long as I can remember (Im only 32 though) I've never had a problem with it.

cheapest try is try new lines and filter i would not go for the tank that is what your filter is for.also looks like some condensation in filter try a bottle of heet [yellow bottle] good luck

Right Adam. I worked at a Buick dealer when Gas-o-hol first came out in Iowa. Nothing but problems. Alcohol is a great solvent and it loosened all the gum and varnish from the tank and lines and sent it to the filter. Once everybody started using it there was no problems. toolman

Well... I do need a new tank anyway. It was mentioned to upgrade to a bigger 3/8" sender. Would I then need to replace all the lines to 3/8"?

Also, the lines that run through the car are steel. Could I just run new 3/8" rubber tubing instead of the steel lines?

Thanks!

Yep! 3/8" is good. You never know when you may need more fuel. (440/6) etc.

can you replace the steel lines with rubber though?? Or should I find 3/8" steel lines? The rubber would be cheaper, that is why I ask.

Thanks.

No, Do not replace the steel line with rubber. Use either new steel lines, You can buy pre-bent from Fine lines for a little over $100 for the 3/8" or use braided steel.

Steel for safety. Use rubber for flex between the engine and frame or on each side of the fuel filter .

What about fuel pumps themselves? Do they generally take 5/16 or 3/8" lines?
Then I'd need 3/8" up to the carb and filter as well?

The factory fuel pump has a rubber line from the steal line to the pump. The line to the carb is usually 5/16

You can do it all in 3/8ths no problem. Stock fuel pumps have the 5/16 line built in. HP pumps have ethier the 3/8ths line or you screw in your own fittings. This is a real easy switch to do.

Your new tank (Or old one) with;

New 3/8 sender
3/8 fuel line from tank to the front of the car. Comes in one box with one bend to unbend. It's a no brainer, trust me, I've done a few.
Fuel line from pump to carb.
Possible fuel pump upgrade/replacement fittings

I did this on my Cuda. Very easy. Everything was nicely placed in, in there OOTB condition, up and running by dinner and makin the meet.

Do you think I could get away with a 3/8's sender, and the stock 5/16's steel line for awhile?? I'd just like to save $100.00 for now. Maybe next spring upgrade the line? Or doesn't it work that way?

Gates rubber co. has come up with a new rubber fuel hose called "Barricade" to address the ethenal problems we are having. They are avail. in two foot clamshell packs part # 27304 for 5/16" or # 27305 for 3/8". Also avail in bulk, part # 27314 for 5/16" or # 27315 for 3/8". Remember also if you don't drive your car much, be sure to use a fuel stabilizer designed for ethenal to prevent phase separation.

You can get a 25' roll of the 3/8 aluminum line for under $40. Tube nuts are about $2 a piece.

IMGA1211.jpg

IMGA1208.jpg

Luckily, here, we have a choice of 10% eth..or 91RON ULP, 95RON PULP, or 98RON PULP.
I will never use 10% fuel if I can get away with it.

DING DING DING DING!!!

1Wild&crazy guys wins! It was the pick up tube sock! (Or whats left of it)

Took it apart today, Time to buy some parts!

Do I buy a new sock then? It doesn't seem as though the new senders come with one. :(

DING DING DING DING!!!

1Wild&crazy guys wins! It was the pick up tube sock! (Or whats left of it)

Took it apart today, Time to buy some parts!

Do I buy a new sock then? It doesn't seem as though the new senders come with one. :(

don't need one, they just fall apart anyways.
I haven't used one for over 10yrs, no issue.

-
Back