is this wrong...

-

bighammer

Reaction score
My Dart sits pretty low... the way I like it. Level, but low. From all that I am reading about ground clearance issues, I am worried about doing an exhaust upgrade: headers.

I don't want to install headers just to have them get all smashed up!

What about this... stock manifolds with new dual exhaust...2 1/2 inch all the way back... turbo mufflers.

Has anyone here done that?

My engine is pretty much stock... v8 but has Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel, has a 340 cam (I think)

Seems like it should 'breathe' better than stock exhaust, should sound better too!

Have you seen this done?

Mark

I did an exhaust straight off the manifolds before. While it was only a 2-1/4 pipe size, it was a mostly bone stock 360 in a '79 Dodge Magnum. The engine was getting terrible mileage. (10 mpg hwy.) and I was annoyed by it.

I ditched the stock computer with a MSD replacing it and a junk yard truck distributor. I also swapped out the 2bbl. For a 4bbl. Fed-Mog AFB 625 on top of a stock intake.
The exhaust was given a "H" pipe and Thrush turbo mufflers. At the time, I needed to have the cats on the car. So twin cats were used.

After careful tuning of the carb and distributor, w/ 2.76 gears and 235/60/15 tires, I was able to get a best of 20 MPG's on the hwy. performance picked up nicely. No cam swap done. Though should I have entertained such a thought, I would have looked at a split duration with at least 8 more degrees of duration on the exhaust side.

Have yours professionally done with the mufflers you want or look into a kit. TTI should have something that will work. You can get there kit with or with out mufflers. IIRC.

TTI also has headers with no ground clearance issues, but, they are pricey. You'll also get what you paid for with them.

i have stock manifolds with magna flows on my duster right now 360 h piped dumped at rear end sounds great and nice daily driver

I think at one time or another EVERYONE has done it. When we were younger exhaust used to rust out. The first thing you did was have duals bent up at the muffler shop. Not everyone could afford headers.

You'll still get a performance increase, just not the maximum amount. Have a H pipe welded in, that will help. Save your money and buy good mufflers, you can always add headers later.

I think at one time or another EVERYONE has done it. When we were younger exhaust used to rust out. The first thing you did was have duals bent up at the muffler shop. Not everyone could afford headers.

You'll still get a performance increase, just not the maximum amount. Have a H pipe welded in, that will help. Save your money and buy good mufflers, you can always add headers later.

X2 Nailed it

TTI headers has good groundclearance,so does dougs and these fairly new on the market tri-y´s http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html

when it comes to headers you get what you pay for and paying alitle more the first time around usualy pays of in the long run:)
i would go for headers since they always makes more power everywhere in the range aslong as you dont get a set that is way to big or small its also a good step on the way since you may want to upgrade your engine further in the future.

If you run 2.5 duals from manifolds and run a 2.5: H pipe and a pair of good flowing turbo mufflers, you will be quite happy I imagine.

For longevity and lack of headaches, avoiding leaks, avoiding dented tubing, combined with saving 400+ $ money, I think manifolds are the way to go. Maybe a little sacrifice on power but not much on a really mild or stock engine. Considering the trade off of cost and pain in the *** factor, manifolds are probably a good idea.

If you want all the extra power you can get, obviously headers are the way to go.

Some folks on this site were mulling over these units recently:

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Sanderson-DD7-Small-Block-Chrysler-Blockhugger-Header-Set.html

Uncoated are sort-of reasonable in price, but I would recommend sand blasting and painting with several layers of BBQ grill paint or other hi temp paint, for protection.

My Dart sits pretty low... the way I like it. Level, but low. From all that I am reading about ground clearance issues, I am worried about doing an exhaust upgrade: headers.

I don't want to install headers just to have them get all smashed up!

What about this... stock manifolds with new dual exhaust...2 1/2 inch all the way back... turbo mufflers.

My engine is pretty much stock... v8 but has Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel, has a 340 cam (I think)

Seems like it should 'breathe' better than stock exhaust, should sound better too!

Have you seen this done?

Mark

Are they the hi-po manifolds?

Yes. 340 manifolds are best. The engines book also will tell you one 340 manifold and 1 Magnum manifold IF you can find the early casting with the natural 2-1/4 outlet.

There's a set of Mangum manifolds in storage here ready to install with new pipes when the time comes. My Duster sits at stock height and I've repaired the Hookers one too many times - not going down that road ever again.

I've got a '67 cuda with a 360. I installed a magnum manifold from a '93 Dakota ($40) with a 2 1/4 outlet on the passenger side. On the drivers side I installed a HP 340 manifold ($140) with the same 2 1/4 outlet.
From there I installed a TTI 3inch X-pipe exhaust kit. Used dynomax VT mufflers (Zero drone and I mean zero). Makes good power and sounds great. Clears the ground and the steering.

-
Back