Isn't an H code car supposed to be a 4 speed?

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-340-1971-dodge-demon-340-now-here-is-one-awesome-car-/221439450627?forcerrptr=true&hash=item338ed1de03&item=221439450627&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]1971 Dodge Demon 340 Now Here Is One Awesome Car | eBay[/ame]

Pretty car but not a 340 and now an automatic.

On bottom line of fender tag is the code for transmission.

On '67-68, the 7th digit from the left should be a 3 for 4 speed

On '69-74, the second group of 3 digits from the left should be D21

H code us usually a 340. Either manual or auto.

You have to refer to the fender tag for the transmission. Not the VIN. The VIN only designates engine size/carburetor configuration.

As everyone stated, H code cars (of these years) were 340s with automatic or 4 speed.
It's just the engine code only.
Nice looking car anyway!

Looks like a fluff and buff. He could have removed things or taped them off better. I see overspray on alot of pieces.

It's always fun to look at the "Hemi" e bodies at shows and look for the H code. Most of them turn out to be H code cars...

Actually, most of them are G code cars.( 318 )

The A66 package cars(340) are usually restored back to stock.

Yup, H just means fee fawty.

It's always fun to look at the "Hemi" e bodies at shows and look for the H code. Most of them turn out to be H code cars...

I saw a 70 "Hemi" Challenger convertible this weekend with a "G" code....

...and G is usually 318. Usually.

That is funny a group of motor head friends and I were talking about the numbers game.
We all agreed that there are more "REAL" Mopar hemi cars and more SS Cameros and Chevelles now days than were ever built from the factory!

That is funny a group of motor head friends and I were talking about the numbers game.
We all agreed that there are more "REAL" Mopar hemi cars and more SS Cameros and Chevelles now days than were ever built from the factory!

I remember hearing back in the 80's that there were 4 times more Chevelle SS cars registered than Chevy ever built. Got very boring to see the typical red Chevelle with the black stripes....

Now with the crate engines and aftermarket body panels available, I wouldn't doubt it....

...and G is usually 318. Usually.

Yes, for 70 challengers, G is an original 318 car...

The guy who drove it in didn't stick around at all to lift the hood or answer questions when he parked it near the other Challengers. it had Hemi stickers/badges all over it and was real clean, but couldn't verify if it really had a Hemi or was just a "poser"...

-
Back