[WANTED] ISO Slant 6 Throttle Rod Bushing?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Curran

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I'm missing another part to the throttle rod that connects to the Carter BBS on my slant, the previous owner used an old piece of hose with some effectivness, but I'm trying to get rid of the excess slop.

I ordered a new "Throttle Rod Insulator" bushing but it looks like there is another bushing that I need (See pic) not sure where I could find the other bushing and hoping you guys could help.

Cheers,

Jack

Carter BBS Bushing 2.jpg

Carter BBS Bushing.jpg

I'm pretty sure thats all there is to it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've had several just like that.

That's the way that part goes, just the angle of the rod looks a bit off. There is another bushing that the throttle bell crank goes through. It's part of the rubber boot back by the firewall.

By the way those rods have a different part number at least in 63 one for the 170 and one for the 225. My guess is the 225 is longer as the 225 has a taller deck.

Look under the dash where the rod comes through and attaches to the pinch bolt connection. See if there's a little bit of the rod sticking through the back side. If there is, loosen the pinch bolt and pull the rod through until it lines up correctly and then re-tighten the pinch bolt.

Look under the dash where the rod comes through and attaches to the pinch bolt connection. See if there's a little bit of the rod sticking through the back side. If there is, loosen the pinch bolt and pull the rod through until it lines up correctly and then re-tighten the pinch bolt.

Thanks all for the feedback, glad I don't need to buy another bushing! I'll open up the manual and make sure I have all my rods set appropriately. I'll post an update once I do.

One thing I did find is this older forum post where someone found a rectangular bushing that looks like it would fit, but is this only for the Holley 1920 Carbs? Here is the link:

Accelerator Rod/Throttle Rod Bushings and Linkage Help

Thanks again for the help

One thing I did find is this older forum post where someone found a rectangular bushing that looks like it would fit, but is this only for the Holley 1920 Carbs? Here is the link:

Accelerator Rod/Throttle Rod Bushings and Linkage Help

Thanks again for the help[/QUOTE]

Good day Mr. Curran and fellow enthusiasts. I authored the very thread you referenced above because I too have the same exact throttle lever mechanism on a Holley 1920. In that thread I was able to post a photo of the linkage and bushings before it was disassembled and sure enough, there is indeed a rectangular bushing that fits in the throttle lever and it basically "houses" the isolator. You will find that even once you adjust the rod as mentioned by RustyRatRod, there will still be a measurable amount of "slop" while using only the isolator.

I searched high and low for a manual that identified that bushing and finally found it in a nondescript Holley Carb manual with them using the term accelerator rod rather than throttle rod.....once I came across that, the search for that rectangular bushing became a LOT more fruitful....

Anyhow, I am away from my Dart and will be for another 3 weeks, but once back Stateside, I can take really good photos of it all put back together. Now, I do realize you have a Carter carb....I myself have used 3 donor Holley carbs to find the necessary parts I needed for my original Holley 1920, but, just like me - I had to use parts from Donor 1 2 and 3 to get my original back in its normal state....I'm not sure, but I'd bet peanuts to pillows that parts from Holley's might work or interchange with Carter carb bodies because when I've shown others my carb, the big mystery for most has been that throttle lever mechanism....unless someone has had that same mechanism - I'm not sure they'd know that it does absolutely have to have that rectangular bushing...

Oh, the poly version that I bought fits LIKE A WELL MADE pair of SPANISH LEATHER Driving Gloves.....zero slop and the full range of movement is smooth with no kinks or hiccups.....I'll see if I might still have that Holley manual that correctly identifies the Accelerator Rod bushing....in fact, the part number is the same exact part number as stamped on the original Chrysler part number for that accelerator rod bushing.
Hope this helps....will update with the pics when I make it back.

Oh yeah, one other thing....the metal clip is NOT AT ALL NEEDED in regards to the throttle lever. I e come to learn that Chrysler used this same bushing for other components and it is in those applications (clutch, etc.) where the metal clip is used. My original unassembled 1920 did not have that metal clip......

What metal clip are you referring to?

In my original thread seeking info on the rectangular accelerator rod bushing, I included a link to the company with the bushings but I incorrectly included a section that deals with a metal clip to be used with the rectangular bushings but in a different application......that metal clip referenced in my original post (and below) is NOT used on the carb lever.....

This is the INCORRECT part I included with my original post.....
Screenshot_20210709-130510.png

Mr. Curran, I'm not sure what your timetable is with getting this particular bushing, but, I had my Wife check in my goodie box and I still have an extra Accelerator Rod bushing that I bought from PolyBushings as an extra......I'd be more than willing to drop it in an envelope for ya' and send it your way Sir, but I won't be back in the States (at my goodie box) until near August 3rd.

If that suits your timetable, it's yours Sir for the price of zero. Well, actually, not zero as it's me paying forward the tremendous amount of help Ive received from other Members on this site for hard to find items, and I feel its at least owed at this point. Lemme know if that works out and I'll get it sent or will try and ask my better half if she can drop in the box for ya'.....Let me know and it's done........

Mr. Curran, I'm not sure what your timetable is with getting this particular bushing, but, I had my Wife check in my goodie box and I still have an extra Accelerator Rod bushing that I bought from PolyBushings as an extra......I'd be more than willing to drop it in an envelope for ya' and send it your way Sir, but I won't be back in the States (at my goodie box) until near August 3rd.

If that suits your timetable, it's yours Sir for the price of zero. Well, actually, not zero as it's me paying forward the tremendous amount of help Ive received from other Members on this site for hard to find items, and I feel its at least owed at this point. Lemme know if that works out and I'll get it sent or will try and ask my better half if she can drop in the box for ya'.....Let me know and it's done........

Thank you El Viento that would be grand. I'll send you a private message and we can sort things out. The members on this site are incredible for sure, and have helped me loads with my odball Canadian Valiant. Hopefully this post can help people who are looking for that bushing. Thank you @cudamark , @RustyRatRod and @hosehead For the help on this topic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back