Issue with ignition system

-

christopher.brandon

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some ideas as to what would cause my car to turn over but not start. I have a 1974 Plymouth Valiant Brougham with a 225 Slant 6. I replaced the coil, ballast resistor, and ignition control module. The spark plugs are good, the distributor cap, wires, and rotor are fairly new. I can smell fuel when I try to start it up so I do not think it has anything to do with the fuel system.

It got me to work just fine the other day, but failed to get me home. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I do not think that this car has a Spark Control Computer/Module, but I am not 100% Certain. Do any of you know?

When I turn it over, I get one good spark, then nothing.

Thanks,

-Chris

Put a voltmeter on the "+" side of the coil while you're cranking it AND while it's just sitting with the keyswitch "on". If it doesn't have voltage there during either way, trace it back and see why. Some culprits would be a blown fuse, bad ign. switch or bad connection @ the firewall plug.

might be the pickup in the dist, sounds like you've replaced everything else.......

That is what I was thinking. It just seems like I have been chasing parts, you know? At least all the parts have been about $20!

culprits would be a blown fuse, bad ign. switch or bad connection @ the firewall plug.

Good info except there is no fuse anywhere in the ignition/ start circuit, except the main fuse link

might be the pickup in the dist, sounds like you've replaced everything else.......

THIS

Make sure ECU is well grounded, and make up a good heavy clip lead. Jumper directly from the coil + terminal to the battery and see if it starts

Have you checked for spark right at the coil?

If there is a small ceramic part mounted with the coil that that supplies power to a electric choke assist, disconnect its incoming power. Those things can short out internally and drink up all the cranking voltage.

-
Back