"It ran when I pulled it"

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
Just a few things I found in a $350 318/904 combo I picked up recently off FB Marketplace.
The stuff on the blue came off the oil pick up screen, the other stuff on the
white paper came out of the block after taking out the freeze plugs. This is the worst of it I hope.

20230831_082411.jpg

20230831_082343.jpg

20230831_082313.jpg

20230829_094717.jpg

The pile out of the coolant passages is normal stuff. Foundry sand that didn't get shook out. The wires used to be long pieces to hold the cores in place.

Man you have the nylon tooth timing gear? i was replacing those in the late 80s... :thumbsup:
The date code on the block was 12/72 and came out of a 73 B Body I was pretty surprised to see that.
Was that original equipment?

The date code on the block was 12/72 and came out of a 73 B Body I was pretty surprised to see that.
Was that original equipment?
Yes the nylon was for "silence" but they wore fast a double roller will fix it up. The slop also made em run bad.

The greasy young shade tree mechanic I got it from, replaced it with a 440/727 he got from his buddy. That ran too... I heard it

The greasy young shade tree mechanic I got it from, replaced it with a 440/727 he got from his buddy. That ran too... I heard it
yeah, they cut out the middleman and passed the savings on to you.

We all started somewhere... You work on this old stuff & your gonna get greasy... You paid $350 for a engine & trans core... You got what you paid for...

"It ran when I pulled it". So the seller may have not lied, by towing it, he got it to run.

Yes the nylon was for "silence" but they wore fast a double roller will fix it up. The slop also made em run bad.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to put a timing chain tensioner on while I'm in there?

We all started somewhere... You work on this old stuff & your gonna get greasy... You paid $350 for a engine & trans core... You got what you paid for...
Thats mainly what I was looking for

I've seen them never used one. It depends on how much slop the new chain has I would imagine. However I really can't comment as I never used a tensioner on these LA engines.

Just get a nice double roller. Tensioners were designed to work on single chains.(stock replacement stuff) I put one on my 273 with a double roller but I wouldn't again.

I think that was something I might have picked up from the Magnum swap community, which is how this all started. I have a 5.2 Magnum wanted to build and wanted the LA parts and the 904 for that.

I've heard lots of "damaged" motors run. I don't think he lied.

-
Back