Its a sickness,

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
As some of you may remember, last year I took the stroker 340 out, after I bought an 89 318, at the recommendation of this board. I learned a lot here, about these later model motors, and decided the 89-91 motors are the best option. I had never, after building at least 40 engines, worked on one this late of model. I like the shaft rockers, never cared for the ball stud stuff.

It is a very low mile 318 (50k)(paid $400 to the yard for it) and I went through it anyway, new rings, bearings etc, with a nice clean up and hone. 302 heads taken apart, cleaned, valves freshly ground, etc. It runs sweet, very nice. I might be able to stand a quarter up on it, but haven't tried.

Well I just couldn't stand it, I kept looking for a low mile 360 in 89 to 91, within a reasonable distance, and found one. It was supposedly out of a city owned, 1 ton dually, and sure enough, the vin checked out to be such a truck. They told me it had around 40 k miles, and I should be able to just drop it in. Sure, I told them, this is a core and it is going in a Barracuda after I make it how I want it.

Many surprises, it was obviously well maintained, you can still see the cross hatch in the cylinders, so I believe what the told me about the mileage. I was shocked to see a windage tray like all the 340s I have ever had, but it had a junk timing chain on it. One piece pan gasket, and very trick valve cover gaskets.

I have a set of KB107 pistons coming for it, along with a set of 340 rods that are already polished, resized and have new sps rod bolts.

I am trying to decide whether to put the LD340 or the Eddy dual fours on it, and will probably end up using that comp cam I had listed. It has just better than stock duration, but a lot more lift. Pocket porting and gasket matching the 308 heads.

Any input? Ideas? Thoughts?

Two carburetors ALWAYS are cooler than one.....but unless you can tune the piss outta them .....well....you know. I still vote for dual quads. lol

Two carburetors ALWAYS are cooler than one.....but unless you can tune the piss outta them .....well....you know. I still vote for dual quads. lol

I had them tuned pretty nice on the stroker motor, don't see why I can't do it again. I kind of agree with you and was leaning that way. That Thumper cam had a lot more duration though, which makes it easier to tune dual quads in my opinion.

I'm sure you already checked the heads for cracks before the the work but many of the late heads have cracks.

I'm sure you already checked the heads for cracks before the the work but many of the late heads have cracks.

Thanks, I had read that about them on here, it is almost legend.

But these look great, so far. I have them soaking in solvent ( I hate dirty parts) and will get them apart soon. All the valves both intake, and exhaust look the same consistent colors. The spark plugs were spotless, so far no obvious signs of any problems. But I am still pulling slugs, so there is a long way to go. Thankfully, I love this part of the hobby!

If the "308" heads check out, FWIW, MoPar has/had porting templates for them. Bowl are only. The port windows you can open up yourself easy enuff. Walls and ceiling only to the gasket.

How about injected???? :toothy5:

Attachments

• hilborn injection SBM.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 213
I had them tuned pretty nice on the stroker motor, don't see why I can't do it again. I kind of agree with you and was leaning that way. That Thumper cam had a lot more duration though, which makes it easier to tune dual quads in my opinion.

Yeah cause a cam with a lotta duration always wants a fat idle circuit. I bet it'll work good. After my slant, I'm gonna be workin on somethin with two carburetors myself....and we all know what kinda carburetors I love.

cool

Just watch some of those later motors, especially FI versions, were usually abused/neglected=driven till the computer could no longer compensate for lack of maintenance ...or coolant.lol

A lot of roller 318's I have pulled apart had lots of overheating signs, like in the form of loose main caps/registers.

Another thing that hurts'em is detonation from vac leaks, bad o2,cross fire from char'd plug wiring.

the latest 360 roller motor I bought has no.2/no.4 main caps loose in the registers, no.rod had spun=turning that rod journal down .080......std mains/.030 rods lol
but at least the bores were cross hatched still @.030 and bore gauge'd round within a .0005-.00025 thou

If the "308" heads check out, FWIW, MoPar has/had porting templates for them. Bowl are only. The port windows you can open up yourself easy enuff. Walls and ceiling only to the gasket.

thanks, can't wait to get to that part.

Haha, stroker said busted one off. My buddy used to have a hilborn set up like that on his 68 Barracuda drag car, loved it.

cool

Just watch some of those later motors, especially FI versions, were usually abused/neglected=driven till the computer could no longer compensate for lack of maintenance ...or coolant.lol

A lot of roller 318's I have pulled apart had lots of overheating signs, like in the form of loose main caps/registers.

Another thing that hurts'em is detonation from vac leaks, bad o2,cross fire from char'd plug wiring.

the latest 360 roller motor I bought has no.2/no.4 main caps loose in the registers, no.rod had spun=turning that rod journal down .080......std mains/.030 rods lol
but at least the bores were cross hatched still @.030 and bore gauge'd round within a .0005-.00025 thou

This one don't look like it has been over heated, but the signs recirculating exhaust gasses back in the motor are there, carbon.

Worked on the heads all weekend, and no cracks! As many have mentioned, there sure is a huge improvement on the exhaust side of these, the intake side, not so much.

Worked on the heads all weekend, and no cracks! As many have mentioned, there sure is a huge improvement on the exhaust side of these, the intake side, not so much.

Dual quads. Even at idle my engine seems to like it better than any Holley or Demon. I running them 1 to 1 now, even got better yet. You don't need rpm, it idles great like Carters/Edel carbs and has kick butt power like a holley. I took the air door out of the front cars and lengthen the primary pump shot so fuel comes on out all the way to WOT. No bog with a 3,000 stall and 3.91 gears. I would never go back to one carb

Dual quads. Even at idle my engine seems to like it better than any Holley or Demon. I running them 1 to 1 now, even got better yet. You don't need rpm, it idles great like Carters/Edel carbs and has kick butt power like a holley. I took the air door out of the front cars and lengthen the primary pump shot so fuel comes on out all the way to WOT. No bog with a 3,000 stall and 3.91 gears. I would never go back to one carb

That does it, you guys have helped me make up mind. I am going to put the dual quads on this motor, wanted to anyway.

-
Back