It's been 12 years coming......

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So as time goes by while we enjoy our families, cars, and life in general, before you know it, you've been driving around in a mostly done car for 12 years before you finally get around to getting the mismatched seats done...........

The background - bought the new house Oct 1996, the Fury followed me home as a basket case Feb 1997, took her apart late 1998-ish, Maiden voyage June 2004. At that time, I had came across a 70 Newport ragtop parts car that donated it's gold seats that were not in the best of shape, but I had no seats and needed the somewhat rare convertible rear seat top and bottom. Spray dyed them black and got a couple of years out of them before the fronts started falling apart. They served their purpose. Enter the split bench 6 way power driver seat from a 74 Newport that are still tan and tattered. Turns out the bottom of the rear seat from the 74 fit a lot better than the "correct" size 70 ragtop seat bottom. So for the last 7 or 8 years, I've been cruising with what you see in the pics. As I would gather the funds to get them done, I wouldn't have the time, and when I would have the time, the funds had to be used elsewhere.

Well now the time and the funds have finally aligned and by the end of the month the seats will be waiting their turn at a local trim shop. Rather than keeping an all vinyl set of seats, I'm going to have cloth inserts done. I'm not doing anything crazy-custom with it. My vision is to have black vinyl for about 3-4 inches at the edges, with a 3 inch roll/pleat cloth material in the seat of the pants area and half way up the backrest running left to right. My initial plan was all black. Then the one shop I visited the other day suggested maybe a medium/dark blue insert. hmmmmmm........ My thoughts on that? I think it could work if I was having my door panels customized with a matching blue insert between the chrome strips running front to rear, but I'm not...... Since I'm leaving the door panels alone, I'm thinking all black would look best. Open to FABO's thoughts on it....

Here is what I currently have been sitting on. Can't wait to show pics of the new ones when I get it all back together the end of July in to August..... (I don't see my pics in the preview of my post...if they don't show up, I'll post them separately)

The pics didn't show up.... attempt #2....

This my 1st time trying to post pics with the new site.... lemme go find the sticky on how to do it..... Please enjoy the music while you wait.................................

20160614_192633.jpg
20160614_192710.jpg
20160614_192655.jpg
20160614_193318.jpg
20160614_193329.jpg
20160614_193301.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the finished product as well!!!

They are comfy - like cruising down the road in your favorite recliner!

Here is the pile of seats I dropped off at the trim shop yesterday afternoon. I leave for vacation this coming Friday night. Between my 2 week vacation and then Carlisle the weekend after I get back, coupled with the shop closes for the week of July 4.... I am scheduled to have them back the last week of July. Also replacing the faded carpet with new while the seats are out. With all the seats out, I could hold a party in the car - seal the doors and make it a hot tub for 10 ... lol

20160620_120359[1].jpg

I have Plymouth Division dog dishes off my 69 Fury 4dr Parts car....

Beautiful car you have
Looks like the seats are all you need to be complete

Thanks. Yep. 12 years of nice paint and rebuilt everything.... it's way past time to get the seats done!

And I have only been working on my Barracuda 5 years. I have plenty of time.

WP_20160308_15_41_35_Pro.jpg

I have recently retired. After my granddaughter has surgery on the 29th, and gets better I should be able to make some progress

so easy to just turn the key and go for a ride huh!? and who can blame you either!? what did you decide on for color? If done right I think the black with blue inserts would be cool as heck even with the door panels left as is... you have PLENTY of blue to carry some nice hints of it inside..

I was so on the fence about it, went with my original plan of all black. She's going to feel like a different boat next time out.

Picked the rear seat up today.. I should have the fronts back in another week or so. Hope to have the carpet and rears installed this weekend.
Here is a teaser for you......
20160823_164335.jpg

I'll be working late in the garage tonight. Didn't get to get the carpet and rear seat in the other night. .....

C'mon over and lend a hand Scampy - :poke:......

My 8 yr old helper and I got the rear carpet, insulation under the seat, side panels and rear seats in!

20160825_200641.jpg

Fronts are set in place. Still need to bolt them down and finish the sill plates on the carpet. Off work tomorrow. After getting tires on the wife's Durango, I'll finish my interior. Pics of the end result tomorrow boys and girls!

Awesome. Hope this all goes together easily

It's going back together very well. Rear seat fits better than it did. Can't wait to get it all buttoned up and take a ride . Havent had it out since i dropped the seats off in mid June. Im on the edge of my seat with excitement. (Lame, I know. Just couldn't help it)

Fronts are set in place. Still need to bolt them down and finish the sill plates on the carpet. Off work tomorrow. After getting tires on the wife's Durango, I'll finish my interior. Pics of the end result tomorrow boys and girls!
NICE!!! - - BTW - busy.. :lol:

-
Back