It's happened.

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I have a 1969 'Cuda. Yes it's a 'Cuda. It has a 340 in it right now though. Today she was running great. Shut her off and now she only cranks, starts, and dies. Immediately after she fires, she dies. Definitely getting fuel to the Holley Carb. Mopar orange box and Mallory coil and resistor. I replaced the main ignition wire at the switch and harness plug. The one everyone says to replace. I have a factory electronic Mopar distributor. Thanks as always for any advice! :burnout:

I have a 1969 'Cuda. Yes it's a 'Cuda. It has a 340 in it right now though. Today she was running great. Shut her off and now she only cranks, starts, and dies. Immediately after she fires, she dies. Definitely getting fuel to the Holley Carb. Mopar orange box and Mallory coil and resistor. I replaced the main ignition wire at the switch and harness plug. The one everyone says to replace. I have a factory electronic Mopar distributor. Thanks as always for any advice! :burnout:

If your definitely getting adequate fuel, that only leaves ignition. If you have another ignition box laying around, swap it out and see what happens. My 64 was doing that and the box ended up being bad

If you have the single or dual resistor block, run a jumper across it and see if it stays running.

If I put a hot wire to the resistor she will run. As soon as the wire is pulled off it dies.

Have you checked the ballast resistor?

I checked resistor. It's doing it's job. If I run a hot wire to the resistor the car fires right up and runs fine. Apparently something to do with the main feed wire going to the resistor.

Bad resistor balast You can stick a cotter key in temporaly but dont leave it in longer than troble shooting. Are you on the right side of the resistor because that sure acts like the problem.

It was the wire coming off the ignition switch running to the ballast resistor.

-
Back