It's...........it's..........it's the Deadkota!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I guess the mini white whale just could not STAND the thought of it's "one year anniversary". Quit me today in a parking lot in Post Falls. Went out there for some errands, and to meet someone in person that I met "on here." So he LOL got to drive me back to Coeur d Alene, and I saddled up the White Whale III (3/4T) and the trailer and towed the dead damn thing back home LOL

Ign coil. Oh, depending on the year. They replaced the ballast resistors in the glovebox....

Just another PIA moment in life. Hey, at least ya have a car hauler, could of been a $$ rollback ride.

Yup. LOL, it really was quite "convenient". Died nosed into a parking space up against a building but the lot is sloped to the rear, and I was able to coast it back, turned a little, and backed right into some open spots. The way the lot is laid out, this allowed me to back the trailer right up to it without crowding anyone.

I don't think it's ignition, acts more like fuel, but a "quick check" depressing the test schrader resulted in a fountain of gas, so ??

Oh! G’s! I ya e when crap like this happens.

Yup. LOL, it really was quite "convenient". Died nosed into a parking space up against a building but the lot is sloped to the rear, and I was able to coast it back, turned a little, and backed right into some open spots. The way the lot is laid out, this allowed me to back the trailer right up to it without crowding anyone.

I don't think it's ignition, acts more like fuel, but a "quick check" depressing the test schrader resulted in a fountain of gas, so ??

keep us updated when you find the problem .

Fuel pressure tells me its a secondary ignition problem.
Crank trigger is working, no trigger means no fuel pump. Usually.
Only other thing is ecm not firing injectors.
A schnort of gas into throttle body will give you some idea whats going on, or pull a plug.

Ok what year is the Dakota the early ones had a wireing splice under the windshield washer bottle driver side,red and white wire two wires into one ,powers up the asd.relay no start condition.id look there.

Ok what year is the Dakota the early ones had a wireing splice under the windshield washer bottle driver side,red and white wire two wires into one ,powers up the asd.relay no start condition.id look there.
yep, been there done that. I think '92-96.

Well it's running again, BAD FUEL PUMP. When I got to it I jumpered power directly to it, heck it doesn't even try!!! I decided to follow the "internet experts" who claim that pulling the bed might be easier. The tank is CLEAR FULL so I did that. 3 wiring connectors for the tail lamps, pull 8 bolts which are all "impact accessable," pull the 4 screws out of the filler neck flange, and lift it up!!!!

This is getting to be an all too common sight LMAO.....unloading a Deadkota onto the 2 post hoist

IMG_1251cs.JPG

Bed hoisted up, it was easy. Just about as easy getting it back down

IMG_1252cs.JPG

Don't know if you can see in this photo the bed is "up"

IMG_1253cs.JPG

Intended to back flush the heater......again.....it doesn't seem all that hot although it's been "barely adequate," and install this strainer I got from eGag. BUT I've misplaced it and ran out of light tonight. So I get to do that tomorrow, "I guess." Other than that it's "back on the road" .....for now

IMG_1249.JPG

Access panel time?:D
Probably something I`d do. I needed to take out the new fuel sender In my 52, diagnosing a also new fuel gauge. Instead of dropping the tank, pia scenario, I drilled access hole above in trunk floor.
I had saved the original rubber plug, "a biggen" ,3"er . Makes access a breeze.
I like maintenance friendly engineering.

No access panel. I don't see how you'd build one and not really screw up the bed for "serious" uses. Pulling the bed is not bad. Bear in mind I'm 69, have serious joint issues, and fatigue easily. A guy even in his forties or "good shape" fifties should have no problem doing this easily. As I said, it's the 4 screws for the filler neck flange, 3 connectors for the tail lamps, and 8 bolts for the bed. Easy with a rattle gun. If you have say, a garage where you can hook up a couple of "come-a-longs" 's all you need. I got busy with this around 10:30AM a lot of that was moving the car and tractor, backing in the trailer, and getting it on the hoist. AND I had to deal with ice and snow around the hoist.

"On a good day" I could have easily done this in a morning.

I usually remove all of the bolts on the driver(fuel tank) side and just loosen the passenger side bolts up on a truck bed. Put piece of wood on a floor jack and tilt the bed up just enough to work on the fuel pump. Its a one man show and usually way easier than pulling the fuel tank. I'm not lucky enough to have a lift. That sure makes it look easy!

Yup, lifting box sounds ridiculous,but if you compare that to removing all the fuel,this is less stress.glad you got it figured out.

Hardest part, "really" is the ice built up around the hoist, making movement for me a "be careful" situation. That cost me a LOT of time going back and forth around the driver's side

Yup, lifting box sounds ridiculous,but if you compare that to removing all the fuel,this is less stress.glad you got it figured out.
Just did my '01 Ram's fuel pump by lifting the front of the box. Only remove the front 6 bolts on the box, just loosen the back 2 bolts. Keeps everything in line and you don't have to disconnect the tail lights, wiring or anything. it's quick and easy as pie :)

Last edited:
^^That may or may not work on the 'Kota. Box is pretty close to the cab, and the "tails" of the rear of the box are VERY close where they pass the front of the bumper. Might be able to raise it "just enough" and access the pump from under the center of the rig instead of reaching in over the tire

Well I slept in on my day off, it's 9:15 here, time to get to it

Backflush the radiator
Finish the heater/ furnace wall stat project
Do some laundry
And go buy the week's food
Save time for old Gunsmoke at 1PM

-
Back