it's my father's 76 dodge, he bought new. am keeping it to honor his memory. he loved it

-
1976 has some unique wiring, but as far as I know the fuel gauge is the same as previous years.

There's a couple of ways to test the gage alone.
I think the most complete test is to connect the gage to a 10 to 74 ohm resistor or variable resistor and supply it with power from the instrument voltage regulator.

If the instrument voltage regulator is unavailable or not safely accessible, then some other 5 to 6 volt power supply will be needed.

Thermal-Electric Gauges (Session 227) from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Here are some easier preliminary tests.
thank you soooo much. i will do that. i just wish i didn't burn the gauges i have

thank you soooo much. i will do that. i just wish i didn't burn the gauges i have
Yes, better to be careful. Supplying 12 to 14 volts could overheat the resistance wire in gage.
Just added another tip my post. Measure resistance of the gage first. Earlier gages were 20 Ohms, '76 might be 13 ohms.

Yes, better to be careful. Supplying 12 to 14 volts could overheat the resistance wire in gage.
Just added another tip my post. Measure resistance of the gage first. Earlier gages were 20 Ohms, '76 might be 13 ohms.
thank you one more time

-
Back