Its Winter. Tell your racing life's story.

-
How can you not love that. Crazy part is Andy Zarna popped into my head the bother day. He won a lot of racers in that old Cutlass of his. Thanks for posting

I grew up in Dormont and PID was near Bridgeville.
I'd have been there every week.
It's a shame that it's just sat there idle since then.

Yeah, closed for a housing project that never got built.
I had no Idea that so many on this site is or was from the Pittsburgh area.

I grew up in Dormont and PID was near Bridgeville.
I'd have been there every week.
It's a shame that it's just sat there idle since then.
I think they stored heavy machinery there for several years, just a waste. I was there one night when they brought the Pro Stocks in, Grumpy Jenkins, Don Nicholson, Motown Missile, it was great to be able to walk over and just talk to them.

Yeah, closed for a housing project that never got built.
I had no Idea that so many on this site is or was from the Pittsburgh area.

The Pittsburgh and Ohio area is LOADED with Mopars. One trip to a Monster Mopar race at Norwalk Ohio confirms this.

All my distant relatives live in Youngstown, Ohio and Summerset, Pa area. I know some of them race, but I don't know what they are driving, at least one cousin I know competes in top fuel.

This 1989 IROC-Z got me into racing. Did a lot of street racing in High School. I bought this car with my own money when I was 15 and did all the work to make it as fast as it was. I grew up in a GM family. Luckily, this 1984 Ramcharger got me into Mopars. It had a pretty stout 360 in it and learned how to work on a small block mopar. I also bought the ramcharger when I was 15.

Anyway, the IROC got stolen my Freshman year of college and was never found. That gave me a really bad taste in my mouth and I got away from the hobby for a few years. Then in 2011 I found my current 71 Dart. Started racing it immediately even with the old worn out 318. In the 1/4 mile it started in the 15s then went 14s, then went 12s then went 11s and hoping for a 10 second pass this spring.

My wife and I have done drag week the last two years and plan on it again this year. We are addicted for sure!

IROC-Z.jpg

Ramcharger.jpg

Dart 4.jpg

Dart 12.PNG

Dart 13.jpg

Mine started out for several years on the street. First a 1970 Ford Maverick with a 300 straight six cylinder. Then in 1978 I bought my first Mopar and had a very good street racing record with my modified 340 (4 speed) It ran a best of 11.80

Post em up guys its gonna be a LONG Winter.

View attachment 1715264107My old Duster at Keystone 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264108John's 1972 Duster on a Nu-Be weekend 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Then I wanted to build a big block car so locally I found a 1969 Dart roller and put together my first big block. Quickest ET with it was right around a 10.30.

View attachment 171526410969 dart 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 171526411069 Dart at Norwalk with dad 001.jpg_thumb by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Then a Friend was selling a VERY clean 1974 roller so with a .030 over 440, stock rods reworked, and a stock crank it went 9.82

View attachment 1715264111race cars 002 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264112Norwalk many years ago 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Then a 1982 Dodge Charger. Same engine combo and a little slower it was consistently in the 10.0's

View attachment 171526411382 charger 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 171526411482 charger 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

Then it was time to step up my game and go faster. I bought my 1991 Dodge Daytona and fell in love with it. Over the years it had 3 different paint sceams and quickest ET was low 8.40's@160 mph. I bought my black 1970 during this period and my Son drove it till I rolled my Daytona when an oil line broke in 2010

View attachment 1715264115006 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264116174 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264117norwalk d by John Cadamore, on Flickr

After my wreck I started driving my 1970 Duster. When we bought it she was running high 11.80's but with lots of updates its now in the low 9.40's

View attachment 1715264118Halloween Classic 20018 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264119Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

My story ends there until the 2019 when I hope to FINALLY hit the track with two of my other project cars. Health issues have hit me and slowed me some but I'm thinking these will be finished in time for race season.

View attachment 1715264120daytona and new duster 008 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

View attachment 1715264121572 install 004 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

So...
I was looking thru an old Mopar Collectors Guide and saw a photo of your Daytona after the rollover.

So...
I was looking thru an old Mopar Collectors Guide and saw a photo of your Daytona after the rollover.

Ya it was quite the ride. I still have LOTS of pictures of the repairs being done. My Friend has it almost ready to hit the track again. The guy porting his 440-1 heads has slowed him up a little or it would have been out in 2018.

37116749452_349367b163_c.jpg
Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

36971796962_cd93dc4fe6_c.jpg
Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr

My avatar 64 Dart was built out of left over parts I had lying around. It was a fun low buck project that I was a *** and sold it.Dumb move. It needed gears as I was running 2.94's and crossed the line in second gear. I'm sure I could of got the 'ol Slant in the 15's if I would have kept the car. Raced it at Las Vegas several years ago.
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_1932.jpg

I can play on this one, as I was born in Cleveland and lived in Pittsburgh for a few years. Here's my racing experience:

...............................................................................(crickets)...........................................................................

Time to come clean! I've never taken a pass at the strip, but that's going to change in the next week or two when I take my tired iron down to PIR for at least one pass. This is a dead-stock 66 Valiant, virtually unchanged since it left the showroom floor. A mighty slant six with three-on-the-tree and 127K on the clock. However, it runs like a Swiss sewing machine. All I've done since I bought it was fix the leaks (which was everything that contained a liquid), fix the brakes, and get new wheels/tires. This thing was a dog before with 13" tires, it is a double-dog with the new 15" tires. I expect them to chart my ET with a calendar. But it will give me a starting point as the Desert Sand Beauty comes down this winter for a full rebuild of everything that is out of sight. When I'm done, it will have a new spunky engine, A833OD, 8-3/4, front discs, all new suspension fore and aft, new steering, and on and on. It will still look like a sleepy Gramma Grocery Getter from the outside unless you know it never came with a 4-speed or fat 15" tires. Here it is in it's red-wheeled glory, the day I drove it home.

20160808_175430.jpg

And here it is with the new 15" wheels and tires.

P7140797.JPG

first vehicle was a 60 ford pickup that would wheel hope if you even thought about putting it on dirt.

My first mopar was a 72 Demon with a Slant Six and a 3 speed on the floor. It was the best snow car i have ever owned. would only cause me to stop when the snow pushed up into the fan stopping the water pump from turning. raise the hood, clean snow and keep on moving.
Raced a couple of 302 mustangs and beat them every time, i didn't miss 2ng gear, speed shifting(67-70- mustangs)
wish i had never sold that car.

73 cuda that has so much rust in the back end that it had a bungee cord around the leaf spring and attached to the truck lid to keep it closed. sold the front fenders and hood off of it for a 340 motor, and junked the rest of the car. (yes, dumb *** again)

Bought my 70 ply gran coupe barracuda in 1982 for $600 dollars. rebuild the entire front end and and give the 318 a tune up.
Told my parents that i was sleeping over to a friends, and took my first race down done the drag strip.(Parent did not approve of "Harsh Driving" let alone DRAG RACING!!!!!
Yup, first time out, tried to stage my back tires :rolleyes::D........ and ran 19 sec 1/4 mile.
340 and some gears when a best of 14.03

About 10+ years ago i took this combo racing or should i say, competing, real seriously for two year. didn't put anything into the car just focused on dial in, me and the car.
Trailered it 95 miles to the track every other weekend, ran all the two day races. It eats up a lot of money for sure.
Placed 17th my first year and was tied for 2nt place the last race of the 2nt year, but choked and ended up 4th place for the year.

That was 10+ years ago and that track is now closed. A few of my racing buddy have came up to our home town 1/8 mile track and think i'm still a threat!:rofl:

408 with same gears (4.56) and a good converter, when High 11's at that track.
Still working the combo out but on a 1/8 mile High Altitude track(6600 feet) has run a best of 7.78@ 87.77 mph
0702162027.jpg

-
Back