jacking up front-end

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
not my car/pic but I wanted to show this k-member part Do you guys lift front by this? Can I safely floor jack my '68 convertible barracuda 383 here? maybe spread the load out a bit with a board or something.. thnx
crossmember.jpeg

The strongest part of the whole front end.

not my car/pic but I wanted to show this k-member part Do you guys lift front by this? Can I safely floor jack my '68 convertible barracuda 383 here? maybe spread the load out a bit with a board or something.. thnxView attachment 1715265085

I do my car there without a board, and I get two of the floor jack pad raised edges behind that so the jack can't slip off as the car comes up.

OK, then my father in law was always right (ran a repair garage late 50's through '70's). Anyway thanks all :thumbsup:. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

If you ever take the front end apart you should weld a support plate in the center of the K frame so you have a nice solid place for a floor jack. I do that with all the cars I build. It is a huge hassle if the car is together but if the car is apart it only takes a few minutes and it is helpful for the life of the car.

That is good place to lift, but at track the car slipped from Jack pad. Think roller didn't move on pavement. Lucky it just put little dent in radiator but no leak. Andy has good idea to put ring or button for jack pad so can't slip.

yes great idea - or at least grab it like Trail Beast described. Did it a few times and definitely had tendency to slide out..thanks for tips. I'm only asking cuz' this is 50 year old steel, looks pretty sound but who knows how many times scraped and painted..
272244_7da69922de6c_low_res.jpg

We welded a small piece if steel to my brother's to avoid jack slippage.

Mine will not have a K member but has built in jack/tow points.

yea, important for floor jack to be able to roll/move as you lift. File under: Things they don't teach you in school. lol

-
Back