Jalopnik; California Wants to Ban Chrome Plating

-
Its hard even around here to find a shop and prices have tripled over the last 15 years. I think we have one shop in the whole province.
I found 1 place in Fl, down in Miami, They wanted $280 to re-chrome a Harley-Davidson brake pedal, and that was around 15 years ago....

It's also a place with a huge economy that let's them study things like lawnmower emissions and sound pollution. That combined with a large population with areas of high density means some dumb stuff makes sense for them that doesn't make sense elsewhere. Some of the dumb gets suffered by areas of the state where it doesn't make sense, but that's life in CA..
Great points. Also, stationary sources in CA are generally regulated by the local air districts in the state. Some districts' "prohibitory rules" are more stringent than others and are generally based localized ambient air quality. But when it comes to pollutants deemed "toxic air contaminants," such as hex chrome, that's when the state and feds step in.

Next thing you know, there's an employment crisis.
Not in Mexico. :lol:

Last edited:
So as long as everyone can get chrome done at a reasonable cost while people working there get cancers from years of exposure, the byproducts pollute the environment and everyone living in the immediate area of chrome shop, you're all good with that.
Were not killing workers so you can get your bumper done cheap, not anymore.
Granted chrome platers are still needed but worker and environment protection is the way it will be
had I knew Berryman's chem dip was going to go water based years ago, I would have kept that gallon of "the good stuff" I had back in 2002...you may be curious as to "what i did with it" well, I'm sure I poured it into a drain oil container and sent it to the waste oil dump... yeah, I know, I know...I probably blew up some poor guys waste oil heater...:)

True, but I'm basing my statement on risk assessment from a personal level in a well run facility with proper hazardous material handling equipment. Not standing next to an uncontained and uncontrolled tank - which I definitely wouldn't want anyone to ever do. I'm pretty sure it's also nearly unheard of. Even the backwoods places I've seen re-chroming hydraulics in the mountains for logging and mining equipment have some serious collection and disposal systems.

Point being, there's no way to mitigate all risks to zero, only minimizing them where feasible. Outright bans are an 'easy button' approach to a supposed problem and I find that approach silly. At least in this case, there are likely to be ways to deal with it and so the losses as a result of a ban are not likely to be as bad as many assume they will be.
Build a

It's also a place with a huge economy that let's them study things like lawnmower emissions and sound pollution. That combined with a large population with areas of high density means some dumb stuff makes sense for them that doesn't make sense elsewhere. Plating Some of the dumb gets suffered by areas of the state where it doesn't make sense, but that's life in CA..
Build a plating shop in Sandpont and watch the once Californians go ballistic.
Chrome ?
I'm digging the bumper.

20230127_151655.jpg

I found 1 place in Fl, down in Miami, They wanted $280 to re-chrome a Harley-Davidson brake pedal, and that was around 15 years ago....
I tried to get a rear bumper on an Olds Cutlass rechromed. They wanted $3400 CAD. I know it's a big bumper but seriously? The repop was $560.

-
Back