January 18th 1991

-
Sorry my dad was in the 3/75 fild ARTILLERY
I was in the 938 maintenance unit .
That I am unsure. When my dad was in the, the Field Artillery was still part of the US Army Reserves.. before the Artillery units were switched to the national Guard. My Dad passed away in July 6th of 2017. I think his unit was attached out of Fort Still Oklahoma. But my dad unit was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood MO

On that night 30 years ago I was a radio maintenance guy at Laughlin Air Force Base. I was sitting in a film and Literature class working towards my bachelor degree. Classes were held on base. During a break in class a student went home and when he came back he told those of us who were outside having a smoke "the lights are out in Bagdad".

Once the professor found out she canceled class knowing we wouldn't be able to focus.

Closest I got was watching 10 NPA rebels walk down a path I was on during a 0200 surveillance op in a Philippine jungle. I was about 10 feet off the path in the bush and I could hear my heart beating..... 10 with AK's and no rules of engagement against me and 2 other Marines in an ambush position..It would not have been a fair fight. :) luckily we were there just to observe and report. Was a sniper on the roof of the US embassy in Manila in late '88 IIRC for about 6 hours. About a thousand agitators were ready to storm the gates until we showed up in 4 CH-53's landing within the compound. Then in 1989, we were pulling into Hawaii and 7 days libo was canked because the balloon was going up in Panama:, restock and refuel the ships and we were on our way to another nothing burger. Half way there it was over. Got home 2 days early! A big thank you to all who served, voluntarily or not.

-
Back