Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
I was just reading up on it and some people suggest turning out the adjustment screw 2-2.5 turns from start. Did you have an adjustment to do on the band before you installed it or do you only use the adjustment screw on the outside casing?

Update....a little weekday progress

New bushing installed in the pump housing. ..still need to peed it over....and new seal going in shortly.

image000000-2.jpg

image000000.jpg

Jeff

There's 2 styles. ..flanged or no flange...
Either one is fine as long as I bottom out in the counter bore in the housing. ..

My old one had the flange.....

Jeff

image000000.jpg

image000000-3.jpg

Cool. If you do bottom it just make sure it isnt blocking a passage. I cant recall if there is a port there to drain tbe back side of the seal back into the transmission.

Cool. If you do bottom it just make sure it isnt blocking a passage. I cant recall if there is a port there to drain tbe back side of the seal back into the transmission.
Cool....I'll keep an eye out for that....

Any tips on peening over the bushing without distorting the I.D.?

Jeff

I have old punch, actually a broken dental pick that is about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil that I ground the end into a round ball tip. I just hold it in place and a couple moderate taps with the ballpeen take care of it. Place it over the snout of your converter next, before the seal install, to make sure there is no interference.

I have old punch, actually a broken dental pick that is about 1/2 the diameter of a pencil that I ground the end into a round ball tip. I just hold it in place and a couple moderate taps with the ballpeen take care of it. Place it over the snout of your converter next, before the seal install, to make sure there is no interference.
Ok...and good tip on the test fit BEFORE I install the new seal! !!

Jeff

Got some more done...
I peened new my pump bushing, installed the seal, test fit on the converter. ..
image000000-4.jpg

image000000-5.jpg

image000000-10.jpg

Installed new rings etc on the reaction shaft and finished up the pump
image000000-11.jpg

image000000-6.jpg

Air checking. ..
image000000-8.jpg

Installed my new 3.8:1 apply lever
image000000-14.jpg

image000000-13.jpg

image000000-15.jpg

Tightened up the sprag race
image000000-16.jpg

Painted crossmember
image000000-17.jpg

And a ton of other rings, seals, etc.....

Jeff

Jeff. Your pump seal is in the wrong way. Carefully drive it back out & turn it round. Pack the inside of the seal with Vaseline before you drive it in. This will prevent the garter spring from popping out unnoticed. Put a very light smear of Silikon RTV around the OD of the seal.

Jeff. Your pump seal is in the wrong way. Carefully drive it back out & turn it round. Pack the inside of the seal with Vaseline before you drive it in. This will prevent the garter spring from popping out unnoticed. Put a very light smear of Silikon RTV around the OD of the seal.
Oh....you're right. ....damn....lol....
Thanks!!!

Jeff

Lol,as i was reading, there was mention of seal direction.

At $15, that was a cheap mistake. I'm sure you've made costlier ones.

Good job btw. I'm enjoying this thread!
I've made bigger mistakes for SURE!

Show me a guy that never makes a mistake and I'll show you a guy that never does anything.

Jeff

Last edited:
That's no big deal Jeff. It's all part of the learning curve. Just imagine it wasn't spotted & that seal blew out on the freeway or when your miles from anywhere at night. It's a heck of a lot better & a much lesser PITA to correct it before the transmission is bolted up to the engine. You're doing a fine job. Keep it up!

Today I'm going to power wash the empty case and tailshaft housing, blow it out dry with compressed air and paint it.

Few more things and re-assembly. ....then back in the car!
I' hoping to get it back on the ground next weekend. ...?!!!

Jeff

Power washed, blew dry with compressed air and painted the case.
I know nobody will see it, but I'll know!
I'm going to start putting it back together this week and hopefully reinstall next weekend!

image000000-7 (4).jpg

image000000-5 (6).jpg

image000000-4 (7).jpg

image000000-8 (4).jpg

image000000-9 (4).jpg

Jeff

-
Back