Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
If you had 5 frictions in there I would say 0.075 is fine. It looks like you only have 3 in there & 0.075 is too much clearance. See if you can get another friction & another steel in there & use a thinner snap ring to correct the clearance. I will normally put 4 frictions in the forward clutch drum with a clearance of 0.045 - 0.060.

If you had 5 frictions in there I would say 0.075 is fine. It looks like you only have 3 in there & 0.075 is too much clearance. See if you can get another friction & another steel in there & use a thinner snap ring to correct the clearance. I will normally put 4 frictions in the forward clutch drum with a clearance of 0.045 - 0.060.
There's no way to fit any more....they're. 097 thick plus a .068 steel. They would end up in the snap ring groove...

Where can I get those snap rings...what are they called?

Jeff

Last edited:
No panic Jeff. You can pick up the thinner frictions & also the clutch pack selective snap rings at A&A. Part Numbers. Clutch frictions 22642A-5. Selective snap rings AASRP727

Ok....I got some .065" frictions locally, got 4 of them in there and have about. 035" - .040 " clearance now...I'm gonna call it good.

Jeff

You're good to go with that Jeff. The forward clutch will live happily on the lower clearance tolerance, because as already mentioned it is not a shifting clutch. It is always fully engaged when the vehicle is moving forwards.

You're good to go with that Jeff. The forward clutch will live happily on the lower clearance tolerance, because as already mentioned it is not a shifting clutch. It is always fully engaged when the vehicle is moving forwards.

Thanks!
Tomorrow morning I'll start putting everything back in the case and I expect to put the trans back in the car Saturday or Sunday.
I get a 4 day weekend (YES!) so I think it'll be driving again this weekend!

Jeff

Re-Assembly starts tomorrow morning!

image000001-2.jpg

Jeff

Dont forforget to change the valve body shaft (gear change) seal, if you havent already.
Yes...thanks....I have a list of little things including that!
So many little details, I had to make myself a note!

Jeff

Ok, I'm not getting any end play on the input shaft. ...?
I've put the thinist thrust washers I have. ..
Ok...maybe .010".....and when I add the gasket behind the pump it might go up to .030 (gasket is .020")

What do you say?????

Jeff

Ok....lots of progress today. ....
Started out replacing the shifter shaft seal
image000001-12.jpg

Then the sprag assembly
image000001-13.jpg

Check out this brand new spring....did not use...
image000001-11.jpg

Then started putting together all the sub-assemblies. ..and into the case...
image000001-10.jpg

image000001-8.jpg

image000001-4.jpg

image000001-6.jpg

image000001-5.jpg

And all the way up to the valve body. ..
image000001-3.jpg

Took longer than I thought it would. ...but in the end, worth it!
I have a couple little things to do tomorrow and I can reinstall it....!

Jeff

Looking Good..... Question? Where dose that little filter go that is sitting next to the c-clamp in that nice little aluminum spun notched thingies.... :)
Looking good Jeff... Hope all installed and works well...

Looking Good..... Question? Where dose that little filter go that is sitting next to the c-clamp in that nice little aluminum spun notched thingies.... :)
Looking good Jeff... Hope all installed and works well...
That' the old filter I replaced!....lol kidding!
Damn....you got good eyes!

Jeff

Great Job Jeff!!. You're gonna love that 1-2 shift under hearty acceleration. Very satisfying to say you built your own transmission & noone can take the experience away from you. Congratulations & have fun with it.

Great Job Jeff!!. You're gonna love that 1-2 shift under hearty acceleration. Very satisfying to say you built your own transmission & noone can take the experience away from you. Congratulations & have fun with it.
Thank you!
And thank you to you and everyone that helped get me through this! !!!!!!
:steering:
I'll keep posting updates AND seat of the pants results!

Jeff

Looks good. I did mine a few years ago. Very satisfying knowing you did it yourself and that it was done right.
I assume you did or are going to air test it?

Looks good. I did mine a few years ago. Very satisfying knowing you did it yourself and that it was done right.
I assume you did or are going to air test it?
I air tested it at the pump....still need to air test it through the case now....

Jeff

What an awesome build! Nice job. I like to use a little non-hardening thread sealer on the band adjusting screw to help keep trans fluid from wicking past it.

Also, I'm assuming you replaced the small rubber throttle pressure shaft seal?

What an awesome build! Nice job. I like to use a little non-hardening thread sealer on the band adjusting screw to help keep trans fluid from wicking past it.

Also, I'm assuming you replaced the small rubber throttle pressure shaft seal?
Thank you!
Yep.....I replaced that seal during the valve body work...!

Transmission is bolted to the engine now......!
Called it a day.....
Tomorrow I should finish up all the details...starter, linkage etc...
If not, I still have Monday off. .....woohoo!

Jeff

-
Back