job changing

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
well im thinking about jumping careers but i dont know if its the right time....

i currently work at loma linda hospital as a cook and its ok and benifits are great but i need to make more money and this job is just one of those jobs where you just work to pay bills theres no future for me in it.

my fiance's dad just told me about a job opening at his work for a pump assembly nothing hard alot of over time and 5$ more then what im making now. It sounds awesome but i just dont want the worst to happen and be jobless because i made a career leap. What do you think.....

i think i should because of the pay and a new possible career opportunity.. Plus i would gain more experience......... Thanks for reading :dontknow:

If you can get it I would say go for it - but don't give up your current job until it's a sealed deal of course. I've been trying to break into a different industry myself after 30 years, but not having much luck.

I always said" the best time to find a new job is when you already have one"
Go for it! You can always get back into food service.

Where will the new job lead?? Take it is for a private company? I was told once that the best time to make major changes, whether it be career or perhaps relocating, is before you get into a mortgage or have kids....at least if they are in school.......

I think you better rethink this. This economy is REAL shakey. What are the realistic long-term of this new job? Is this a solid company with years and years of solid customer base, or are they in a period of "new", upheaval, rapid growth, etc?

Years ago I got a job working for the Spokane Motorala service shop. It had been in business for years and years. I got sick, and had some serious medical issues. About the time I was looking for a light at the end, the bills started coming back (medical) unpaid. They had gone bankrupt. There is no real reason for this that I can see, except for too--rapid uncontrolled growth, while at the same time all the management (there were some silent partners) wanted more money out of the company.

In other words, they mismangaged themselves right out of business.

In this economy, I would look LONG and HARD at a company's PAST before I imagined what their FUTURE might hold.

This financial **** is not over. not by a long shot. Lot's of solid people I know can't get crap for a loan to build a business.

this is a business that has been around for a long time my fiance's dad has been there for 5 yrs...... It is a company with demand and they are swamped with work right now.

i am getting married in a year and will eventually start looking for a house to buy so i personally think nows the time....

If it was me ,I would go for it.If you are getting married,you will need it.Feel fortunate to have a head start for your families future.

...............I've changed jobs a few times and everytime it has been 4 the better......u have to do what u think is rite.......the place i worked at closed down on September 29th, so i'm currently unemployed, but there is lots of jobs around here...........i'm taking time off to do a few things that i was putting off..........mission almost accomplished..............kim.........

Alright guys I'm going with it... Gotta go down apply and get me an interview and go from there ...

Good luck man... I know what its like around here and can be tough... Making the move for cash isn't a bad idea..

Did the same thing but the company I worked for was tanking before I jump on..
there were signs written on the walls lol

Pretty sure you'll be fine, esp if you have an inside person

good luck man. I'm thinking about a job switch as soon as I get out of school.

Ok guys I'm going down there tomorrow and filling put an app and talking to the boss.... Then I just pray I get an interview lol so well see what happens

Good luck Kid! Remember it was your future Father-in-law that recommended the job to you. I'm sure he's looking out for your future and that of his daughter. Change is usually good. I could tell you stories....... Dan

Ok guys I'm going down there tomorrow and filling put an app and talking to the boss.... Then I just pray I get an interview lol so well see what happens

If the So. California job market is as bad as it was I would take the best job with a proven track record I could find. Be sure to give the Loma Linda Hospital the two weeks notice they deserve if you do get the other job. If things do go sour on the new job you might need that bridge open. My daughter decided she hated her job and wanted to do something else. She got another job that was Monday thru Friday and continued working weekends at her first job. She had worked that out with the owner and it is a good thing she did because she absolutely hated the new job. She went back to her first job but she gave the second job their two weeks notice. She moaned and groaned about completing that two weeks but she did it. She is a college student and is just learning what life is all about but in about 1 1/2 years she will have her degree and she will be able to give every company she has worked for as a reference.

I'm planning a slow transition into a Carrer change. I'm looking at opening my own business but iwill continue at my current job untill I can fully support myself on my own. I say go for it.

I'm planning a slow transition into a Carrer change. I'm looking at opening my own business but iwill continue at my current job untill I can fully support myself on my own. I say go for it.

That is a smart business plan. I wish you the greatest success with it. I hired myself in 1983 and I have never worked for a more demanding butt wipe. Never happy, always wanted more and never said thank you. I changed business directions in about 1989/1990 and 1996. In 1989/1990, I added mattress manufacturing to my furniture store because there was just so much time I sat there and no one came in. I was bored and thought what will take up time and work with the furniture store? The mattress company took over the furniture store and I didn't have time to be bored. I ended up 98% in the mattress business and 2% furniture. I sold that company the day after Thanksgiving in 1995. Getting bored ended up being very profitable on that one. 1996, I bought real estate and it made decent money but nothing like the mattress company. I still have it but it doesn't make much money since I got hurt and have to pay to get everything done. Now I am bored again and can't find anything to do to make money execpt play cars and due to title and tag laws in Oklahoma that isn't easy execpt for crushing them.

I myself am making a career change.....I am an unemployed machinist as we speak....but I have decided to go work for an international company that does drilling.....not for just oil...they mainly drill for precious metals....and I only plan on doing it for a couple of years so we can pay all of our bills off and be debt free and save a nice nest egg...I have several friends who do it and they say after the first month its not so bad....ie training...it is hard work with 20 days of 12 hours straight and the 12 days off and they pay for travel and lodging....anything over 8 hours is overtime so 4 hours o.t. each day and monthly bonus plan....I am solely looking at the money so to say...and I hate to say this...but the poor economy is what is making this field explode and looking for new help...
Anyway like others have said ...dont burn your bridges...so if this job doesnt work out you have something to fall back on....good luck

Not to repeat everyone but give the Loma Linda a two week notice "AFTER" you accept the new job. Have a nice talk with the boss and explain that it is ONLY for career advancement and if he or she is a good boss tell them in the notification letter.

Second in that industry, IF you can (hours and schedule) go online and sign up for a PMI degree. If you are serious this will take you very far with that company and others. It may take you a long time and the cost is 2500.00 you will earn that back in less than a year. your 5.00 an hour will enhance by thousands

Talked to my boss at loma Linda this morning she doesn't have a problem at all shes even letting me come in a Hr or too late tomorrow lol.... No bridges burned here, with this with job I have now no one has a problem with me and I told her if I do get it ill put my two weeks notice in after I know for sure I'm hired

Talked to my boss at loma Linda this morning she doesn't have a problem at all shes even letting me come in a Hr or too late tomorrow lol.... No bridges burned here, with this with job I have now no one has a problem with me and I told her if I do get it ill put my two weeks notice in after I know for sure I'm hired

that's pretty cool.

Some bosses can be pretty cool.

So are you the one I can complain to about the tasty food that was fed to my Mom on her visit at LLU med center... LOL

Good luck with it.

-
Back