Job has me frustrated. "..should i stay or should i go now!..."

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
So long story short ive been an auto tech for the past 4 years. Love working on cars, love everything about cars and i love the challenge of figuring things out. First job i worked at aftermarket shop for 3 years. Loved it until about the last year when i stopped getting along with my coworkers my boss was a drug addict. The money was good but i couldnt take the bull that went with it. So a buddy of mine got a job at honda he loved it, was making money, never had issues like our last job. So i applied and got hired. Took a $1.75 paycut to go there bc i was told i would make it up in hrs. So i went loved it at first wasnt makin the money i was but it was bareable bc i never worked in a dealer before. Well 5 months later and i basically lost about 400/week in pay since my previous job. Ive brought my concern up to the boss and he kept reassuring me things would be bettEr. Well nothing has changed. I am goin back to school for autobody and collision repair. I kno im fortunate to have a job but it is very frustrating to see how much further i set myself back. If any of you were in my position how would you react? Look for another job? Hold out till im done school? I just dont know a close friend of mine keeps asking if i would want to open a shop with him and it sounds great but who knowd if thats the right decision. Ive felt like every decision ive made in the last year has negatively affected me when it was all supposed to positive. I jus dont know what the right decision is anymore. Im tryin to save for a home and that dream seems to jus get further and further away... Sorry for the long rant but i just need to vent. Been really down on myself lately.

I'd be a little upset with them. I think I would start looking for another job and if I found one I might give them my two weeks. Where are you going to
school? I'm at WyoTech now and I'm
Graduating in two weeks.

Sounds like you "Clash" with your new job but I would hold on to it till your done with school. Its doesnt look good if you keep leaving jobs.

First finish school, second forget the homeownership right now,third you need to figure out how to keep the next job when [and if] you find it. Sounds to me that you may have an attude problem [just my opinion] by your first sentence that everything was good till the last year then everybody disliked you,you may want to get that in check first then follow your heart and do what you love. I strongly suggest that you decline going into busness with anybody [bad idea] in this economy. Todays economy it's an employers market tons of applications for 2 openings getting a job is having an edge,skill and willing to be flexable. Every one of us have something,someone or everything that we dislike [hate] about our jobs but we stick with it cause we have commitments. I'm thinkin you need to swallow your pride [or whatever] and stick with what you find after you graduate. I know your delema i worked in a dealership for a few weeks and ended up making next to nothing while doing all the lead mechanics work they collected the pay for my work i complained and was promised but they did nothing i quit and went to work on aircraft as an A/P mechanic. Good luck to ya try to think clearly before you act.

I start next month and its 2 years. I dont want to hop from job to job but its hard not knowing whethernor not the bills are gonna get paid.

I did word that sentence incorrectly. I dont have an attitude,there were jus certain situations there that dictated the falling out of everyone. It got to the point that no one like anyone at my previous job. And it does suck now because i truthfully enjoy the people i work with. But i do appreciate your reply! Unfortunately the wife is pushing the homeownership idea and as much as i would like to put that on the backburner. Well you know women lol..

Hay man I work at a dealership and somedays and weeks are better then others. The ? is are you flat rate or hourly? Dont know how your place works, but for me there are always alot of new cars to check in. They can make a bad day ok or a great day even better. If you are flat rate use the magic of the pen with the warranty person. Get to know the system. Good luck.

I'd be a little upset with them. I think I would start looking for another job and if I found one I might give them my two weeks. Where are you going to
Graduating in two weeks.

Im starting auto training center in Warminster

Hay man I work at a dealership and somedays and weeks are better then others. The ? is are you flat rate or hourly? Dont know how your place works, but for me there are always alot of new cars to check in. They can make a bad day ok or a great day even better. If you are flat rate use the magic of the pen with the warranty person. Get to know the system. Good luck.

We are flat rate and believe me i can use the pen, the trick is havin a writer who can actually sell ur recs. Now that is truly the trick. Lol but we have a guy specifically who does the check in(pdi's) because the techs pay rate is too high and they lose money at least that is what i was told.

The dealership job gives you better work history.

As you said about the other place, boss on drugs won't last forever. One day the roof will cave in so to speak.

I would try to hang in there. For sure do not quit till you land a different job. $400 a week is alot, so many staying put isn't so great IF you can land another great job. That is a big IF.

From Honda -ugh - maybe you end up at a Lexus dealership someday.

I know people who worked at the same dealer for decades, its a stable job

Move to Minnesota, man. If you are good, I need another tech. I book 2 or 3 days ahead and my guys are billing 80 to 100 hours a week. I need another good, fast tech that is looking for a long term position instead of a 'grass is greener' guy, but they are very hard to find these days. We are never slow and can't keep up.

I don't know how big your shop is, we have 17 flat rate and two hourly. All but the hourly get pdi's. From the top paid tech to the low paid techs get pdi's. I have done a little work for the small guy's shop. I like dealer ships. Hang in there. Like some people tell me when I get grumpy at work at least you have a job.

Stick it out with Honda . If your good at what your doing the money will come later .I've been with a Honda dealer 25 years making good money. it has slowed down a little with the bad economy but not as bad as other dealers

14 bay shop with three excellent techs all getting $30/hr flat rate. Every one of them made over $90K last year, but it's so busy we need another tech and just made an offer on another shop. I would love a heavy line guy to do nothing but motors, trannys and head jobs. That would take a lot of pressure off the other guys.

Move to Minnesota, man. If you are good, I need another tech. I book 2 or 3 days ahead and my guys are billing 80 to 100 hours a week. I need another good, fast tech that is looking for a long term position instead of a 'grass is greener' guy, but they are very hard to find these days. We are never slow and can't keep up.

Believe me i would love to get out of philly lol. I was flagging that at my last job granted i was wrking 6 days 12hrs a day but i was definitely rakin it in. Thats what frustrates me i am good and i am quick which is why i dnt know why im not making money

I don't know how big your shop is, we have 17 flat rate and two hourly. All but the hourly get pdi's. From the top paid tech to the low paid techs get pdi's. I have done a little work for the small guy's shop. I like dealer ships. Hang in there. Like some people tell me when I get grumpy at work at least you have a job.

Yea its def different at my shop they pay one guy hourly to do all the pdis. I wish they would dish them out u can make 20+hrs a day with them! Like i said tho its all about how much money they can save.

We have 16 flat rate techs. 9 express hourly guys and one pdi hourly guy. O and one flat rate guy that does all the used cars

:wack:
14 bay shop with three excellent techs all getting $30/hr flat rate. Every one of them made over $90K last year, but it's so busy we need another tech and just made an offer on another shop. I would love a heavy line guy to do nothing but motors, trannys and head jobs. That would take a lot of pressure off the other guys.

I wish there was something like that around here. Ive looked alot but have come up short or no one is hiring.

I would not leave your current job until you have another. It's far easier to find a job if you currently have a job. Are you planning to work while attending school? Opening your own shop could be a great opportunity but be careful as you have to be willing to commit completely to it. Like 24 hrs... someone will see you when your at a recreational activity and ask you to drop what you're doing to look at their car. Then there are all of the issues like book keeping etc. Owning your own shop can be very rewarding personally and financially but it it takes a huge commitment. Be VERY CAREFUL about getting into business with a partner. It can work out well but also has the potential to be a disaster so just be careful in that decision. Does your school have business classes with the tech? Not knowing your entire situation I think I would stick it out where you are until school, trying to make the best of the situation. It will look a lot better on a resume if you leave a job for a reason like going to school. Then during school or shortly after make some long term plans and decisions.

I will be working full time while in school. I understand the commitment my grandfather owns his own business and my uncle had his own garage til he passed and like u said it is 24/7. I was planning on taking some sort of financial classes during the summer time next year. I will definitely not leave my job unless i have something lined up i obviously have to stick this out until something better comes along i guess.

Graduating in two weeks.

that is what i would try, but becareful, you might end up like me, i decided to find another job on the down low, while working at this one place, then if i got a job, bam i was gone. well the boss found out i had been job huntin for the last couple months, and fired my ***. lesson learned, in buisness no one is your friend, they are for themsleves and to kiss *** with the company.

i had put in this one job app, while i was working there, i was talkin to this company for awhile tryin to get in ( they made contact lenses, i was trying to get into the warehouse/shipping department like my current job at the time). a couple weeks after i was fired, i was called in for an interview with that company, well, i was turned down and ended up completely jobless. it really sucked beacause i had intended to "ride out" the job for as long as i could while still makin' some money, then just job hunt, and eventually slip into better job.

if your having problems at your job and you want to find another while still working there, i say do it, but trust no one and don't say a word out of the normal untill your last day when you tell em F@#$ you! lol.

I'm in business for myself although not in auto related work. Half way through my career choice now and just really fed up with the **** economy and government rules & regulations. Daily it seems there is a new government program that just sucks the life out of me owning a small business.

Don't get me wrong there has been some really good times. however at this late stage in my life I still think about getting a city job and just going with the flow and not fighting the system. Most city jobs you can put in thirty five years and retire making almost what you did working at the peak pay of your working career. More than anything, I have learned that it is not really about how much money you make, It's about the choices you make using and spend that money is what counts. Look in to some of the auto related jobs under transportation in your area at this link. Think you can even get email alerts when those type of jobs are posted.

governmentjobs.com

well if you quit working the first job because the boss was a druggie ...no matter how far it set you back you made the right decision....

-
Back