Joe Mopar's 74 Duster Project

-

Joe Mopar

Reaction score
So o.k. this will be where I will post about my project , ask lot's of sometimes stupid questions and hopefully get answers and get to know all of you.

First here's my project car...........

024.jpg

With the purchase I was given (2) 360 blocks, a 73 and an 86 which was suppose to be from a truck. So I'm looking at an engine rebuild which I want to get as much out of it with out breaking the bank. :icon_smi:

I was given a 727 and a 4 speed trans, I'm thinking the 4 speed since the 64 is an automatic. The car is set up with the clutch pedal anyways.

I'm not sure what the rear end in it is yet as I really have not gotten under it yet. Did I mention that as of yet I have not found the fender tag, or a build sheet in the car ?

Sheet metal wise the rear quarters have been done, new trunk floor with the extensions. Likewise the floor in the car has also been replaced. So the car itself is solid. The engine bay has been painted along with the door jambs and around the trunk along with the bottom of the trunk lid.

I'm open to all suggestions. I'm looking at trying to get this set up in a 2 year period as I can't be neglecting the 64, and have to go with the flow on funds.

I'm thinking of starting the engine rebuild and also rebuilding the front end first and then going to the rear end.

Also not sure if a rebuild is in order for the 4 spd.

I feel like I'm rambling on so I'll end this for now and ask my first question.

If the previous owner does not find the fender tag ( he is presently in Afganistan ) is there somewhere ( like Chrysler ) that you can obtain one, or a build sheet by using the I.D. number ?

I know what the answer is for the older B-bodies but hoping this might be different for the newer cars.

023.jpg
023.jpg

Hi, looks like a nice starting point. I believe there is place that will make the tag for you, but they can be pricey. i'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in. Look forwardto your updates.

Pat

You can get a new fender tag reproduced, but you need either the broadcast sheet or the old fender tag to get it done. Unfortunately there is no way that I know of that they can just use your VIN number to decipher what the car came with. If there is let me know, because I am missing the fender tag as well.

Apparently the building that Chrysler used to store our vehicle's documents burnt to the ground destroying them. If memory serves I beleive you can get them up to 68 or 69 but anything past that and your out of luck without one of the above pieces of info.

Dan

Looking for parts, ( hopefully local ) I'm going to start working on the Duster this winter as funds allow.
Needed:

360 Bell Housing for a 4 spd.
fly wheel
833 4 spd. trans. linkage
4 spd. shifter

There will be many more parts as I get into the build, but if anyone can help me with these please shoot me a pm with pictures and price. Thanks, Joe

The car sounds like a great starting point. Whats the plan for the body ? Are you going to keep the sublime ? Is it an original 360 car ? I'd love to do the body work on it for you if your not planning on using Ultimate again.

The car sounds like a great starting point. Whats the plan for the body ? Are you going to keep the sublime ? Is it an original 360 car ? I'd love to do the body work on it for you if your not planning on using Ultimate again.

Adam,

It was an original 360 4 barrel engine car, also must have been a 4sp. Don't have the fender tag but figured the above from vin.#. I'm not opposed to having you look at it if you want. Think I have plenty of other work first though.

Are you saying this is Sub lime and not Sassy Grass ? I'd like to know. I don't think the original car was this color anyway and thinking it's a color from an earlier year model.

360 4 speed cars are pretty rare. Id love to take a look at it. Im not if its sublime or sassy grass green but neither were available in 74

If your going to change the color its much easier to do it while the motor is out.

Sublime is Plymouths name fo it
Sassy Grass is Dodges name for it
Same colors different names

Looks like a great start. Have you gotten any progress since last pics?

Now I'm still confused. LOL Want to keep it that same color Adam. I have the car on jack stands now I want to clean up the bottom. Wish I could flip the car over. LOL If you ever want to and have the time come on up and check it out.

Joe

I have an OE hurst shifter that came off my 833 65 dart. Sold everything else if you are interested in it. Don't have shift linkages, those went with tranny. Let me know if you are interested.

I have an OE hurst shifter that came off my 833 65 dart. Sold everything else if you are interested in it. Don't have shift linkages, those went with tranny. Let me know if you are interested.

GT mopar thanks I'll keep you in mind as a second option. I was contacted by another member that has a complete shifter with linkage and he lives in Ct. so I can just pick it up.

I had a Panther Pink Cuda a few years back, Very manly color. Let me know if you want to sell one of those 360 blocks.

-
Back