Joined an unwelcome but not unexpected club this week

-
It's definitely bad. A diet pepsi a day wrecks my control. It doesn't give me a sudden spike rather a long steady rise that takes a bunch of insulin to control. An occasional one doesn't hurt it's the daily intake. But man they're addictive

Metformin was awful. You'll know right away if you're body doesn't like it

Every so often it gives my wife a screaming bout of diarhea. I don't know how, but I will try to get wife of th Darn ddiet dr, pepper! I don't know she drinks the stuff.

Been on Metformin for four years. Started with 500mg, get labs then after 90 days the doc upped my dosage. Now on 2000 mg daily which is max dose. I see the doc every 90 days where she keeps a close look of liver and kidney function. My problem is myA1C jumps up and down. Been as low as 6.5 and as high as 8.5. 6 months ago she introduced me to Trulicity, cut the Metformin back to 1000mg. That’s when I started jumping up and down.

I’m seeing a Diabetic doc tomorrow. I’m thinking the change to Trulicity caused the problem. I was tolerating Metformin pretty good so if she jumps me backup to 2000mg won’t be a big deal.

As an FYI a year ago I was taking Victoza. That really worked however Medicare became a problem. Wouldn’t approve Victoza.

I've been diabetic for a long time .Evertime I do good something happens and I'm bed ridden.Its hard to eat good as a truck driver.I just got my apu fixed so I'm warming up veggies and eating low carb tv dinners.I saw some keto hotdogs buns and I'm having a hot dog today.God Bless you !

#1 thing to know is-

Everyone potentially reacts differently to any control methods, so what works for me may not work for you.

For me, the first and second things I did on day one were-

1- Switch to diet soda. I realize it's also full of highly refined chemicals.
...but regular soda @ 200 cal per 8 oz puts me to 300 hg/dcl in 15 minutes.
Diet soda does not change my number at all.

2- Eliminate all "stand alone" bread. No biscuits unless it has meat on it and is the main course of thee meal. No bread sticks, no slice of bread just because.

Just doing those 2 things brought my A1c from 14 to 10.

The next thing I did was move meal times up.
Breakfast- 5:00 am
Lunch- 10:30/11:30
Dinner- no later than 6:30 (5:00 preferred), and for every hour past 5:00, subtract carbs, IE
5:00, burger is fine. 7:00 (hey, it happens), get the salmon, with a vegetable.

Likely the next best thing- No pizza for dinner and for God's sake no pizza after 7:00 pm EVER.

Doing that and a few other things has me between 6.7 and 7.1 on a regular basis.

I've found I can eat anything I want as long as I do it rationally.
Donut? Fine- early, so it can be burned off.

Last edited:
I also learned that alcohol can actually help your body get rid of sugar!

As long as you are moderately active (standing, moving, working on a car).

If you are sitting on a chair watching a game- no dice.

I can drink as much beer as I want (and not light beer or ultra, either), as long as I'm piddling about in the garage.
Sometimes I actually wake up low the next morning.

Red wine is even better! Plus you get amino acids and anti-oxidants.

Wife was drinking a lot of box wine, thought it helped her sleep. NO!!! but it cost like $100 a month or more! Now she drinks that much in damned diet dr. pepper! I can't teach her to drink coffee!!!!

Donut? Fine- early, so it can be burned off.

mmmmmmm donuts
I once at seven of these at a company sponsored event (free donuts) no problem.
dd.jpg

Last edited:
I just read a study where they gave mice the equivalent of 4 diet sodas a day and it made all the mice pre-diabetic. They had increased insulin and insulin resistance. Gave the mice antibiotics and it reversed. Granted, this was mice but if I'd known about steroid diabetes I'd never taken that ****

I have been using Metformin for three years.

First time I took it I got sick... vowed to never do it again. But my Doc told me my body would adapt and it did. Now I take 500 mg per day.

It took me about a month and a half to get over my metformin side effects.

Look them up, they are crazy.
...and I had every single one of them.

Trulicity caused my body to go into "lock up then purge" mode.

Where I felt full and bloated and could barely will myself to do anything (almost as bad as a sugar coma) about 2/3 of the time.

...and the other 1/3 of the time I was in the bathroom.

BTW- "Sugar Coma" is on the short list of names of a band, album or song.

...so no one steal it, OK?

-
Back