Junkyard treasure 360 efi?

-

Mopar2o9

67cuda2o9
Reaction score
Have a 360 71 motor, need advise would i be able to go to a junk yard find a 5.9 L ram Remove all EFI conponents, install in 360. the ram is running a obd2. What major Problems would i be facing in doing so? This idea came to me after finding out prices on brand new plug and play efi kits. I know i'll need CPU, Engine harness, Crank position sensor, O2 sensor, manifold, Throdle body, etc.
:read2:

Don't forget the Magnum heads so the intake will bolt up, and you will need a set of Jeep lifters and Mopar Performance pushrods for the Magnum head to LA block swap. The throttle cable and kickdown linkage would be a good idea and you will need the EFI fuel pump and a return line from the engine to the tank. You will also need a fuel pump block off for the timing chain cover. Might be better off just getting the complete 5.9 and swapping it in.

I see, my end idea of the build is to tap fuel injectors into my chosing of manifold maiting to heads of my liking. This Idea is a small budget efi conversion. The Junkyard 5.9 could have internal issues, my 360 is good in and out. With the knowledge you have given me, would i be able to install efi in say... my brothers 383 by rewiring injector connections to his firing order?

Thanks for the Feed back.

In addition to what Grumpus said, factory FI does NOT like longer than factory duration cams and cams with tighter than 112 LCAs. You'll also need some way to fit a crank sensor and the factory distributor that IIRC, acts as a cam position sensor, so that negates using it on a BB/RB. Don't forget that you'll need some sort of throttle body with a TPS and IAC.

If your 360 is stock, you MIGHT be able to get away with it but if it's cammed, forget it.

After dealing with the magnum plaform for years, I got P/O'd with it, yanked it and am now going with a carbed 408.

For a simple driver it's fine, but for performance it's a horrible POS.
You can go out and pay out the backside for tuning flasher thingies, but IMO you're never going to make more power than a carbed setup. Not with those wussy cams for EFI.

All depends on what you want to do. A very mild cam will be fine.
But anything bigger than maybe a [email protected] is going to get you annoyed really fast.

It's not like a ford system, or a GM where it can be tuned easily.
It's speed density and it's essentially pretty dumb. I hated it.

If you aren't planning to take the whole engine, I'd skip it. The Magnum EFI is not easy to adapt to other engines, particularly the crank trigger setup unless you happen to have a milling machine. It is possible to reflash the factory ECUs, but be prepared to pay up the wazoo - and good luck finding someone who's actually tuned one installed on a big block. You'd be better off either trying to grab a bunch of unrelated junkyard components and run them with an aftermarket ECU, or try adapting a GM TPI computer (which is hackable if you know what you're doing, and can be made to work with Lean Burn distributors).

What v8 vehicle in the junkyard had a great EFI setup and had a easaly modifiable CPU? 1990 Lexus ls400, camaro, mustang...

Yes, found a shop dealing with nothing but EFI, and my family business has CNC machines.

Are you familiar with the Megasquirt ECU's? www.msefi.com If I was inclined to roll my own injection, I would seriously consider it.

X2, that's the way I would go and am contemplating it for my Ramcharger in the future. I'd use fuel rails and injectors from a late dodge truck with a 5.9, a throttle body from FAST, the manifold from Hughes Engines and maybe see if I can fit a stock truck EFI pump in my tank. There's lot's of little stuff that I haven't hashed out yet but I've got a ways to go before this happens anyway.

As you can see from my sig, that's what I run on my Dart too. :)

The only OEM EFI controllers I've seen on V8s that have been hacked to the point they'll work reasonably well on unrelated engine designs are the GM TBI / TPI controllers and the EEC-IV off 5.0 Mustangs. Never seen it done successfully with a Chrysler controller myself.

-
Back