Just a few questions?

-

ROB MCWILLIAMS

Reaction score
I own a 65 Plymouth Barracuda with what I believe to be a 273 with a single barrel carb and a 4-speed transmission my question is did all of the first generation barracudas have Hurst Transmissions my step dad bought the car and he died and it was left to me so I don't have much knowledge of the car I know he bought it from Gateway Classic Cars and he paid 17 grand for it and where did the restoration did an absolutely horrible horrible job painting it the ugly *** gold that it is they obviously did not know how to do body work correctly or paint but that's neither here nor there I really just here to find out about the transmission the car has Hurst badges on it I'm not sure if those came from the factory or if they were an add-on and I would like to know if there is a possibility that it is not a Hurst Transmission how can I tell is there a number on the outside of the transmission I can find or something stamped somewhere any bits of any information anybody has would be greatly appreciated thank you

I own a 65 Plymouth Barracuda with what I believe to be a 273 with a single barrel carb and a 4-speed transmission my question is did all of the first generation barracudas have Hurst Transmissions my step dad bought the car and he died and it was left to me so I don't have much knowledge of the car I know he bought it from Gateway Classic Cars and he paid 17 grand for it and where did the restoration did an absolutely horrible horrible job painting it the ugly *** gold that it is they obviously did not know how to do body work correctly or paint but that's neither here nor there I really just here to find out about the transmission the car has Hurst badges on it I'm not sure if those came from the factory or if they were an add-on and I would like to know if there is a possibility that it is not a Hurst Transmission how can I tell is there a number on the outside of the transmission I can find or something stamped somewhere any bits of any information anybody has would be greatly appreciated thank you

Trans I believe is The same 4spd for slant 6 up to hemi.
Someone can verify.
Badges no idea?

the transmission would be a 833 built by mopar the shifter my be built by Hurst , hard to tell without a pic .

First off, the 273 would have had a 2 barrel carb on it from the factory unless it was adapted to a one barrel.
Secondly, the Hurst logos are aftermarket add ons.
Thirdly, The transmission was not built by Hurst.
Hurst is a suppler of quality shifters, balls, linkages, boots, etc. - basically external components for the transmission.
Fourth, On the transmission there should be a raised and machined pad on the passenger's side that has numbers stamped into it, and these numbers will translate to the year, actual assembly date, and model.
An example would be P833 0417 for example.
All of the transmissions built for that year of car were manufactured by Chrysler.

On a final note, if you don't like the car, then why not sell it?
If the body work and paint job aren't to your liking, then you will not enjoy the car.
Find someone who will and then both of you will be happy, then use the money to buy something else that is more to your liking.....

I hope this helps.

Well heck he just got it. Perhaps he’ll get into it?

@ROB MCWILLIAMS Take a picture of the fender tag and post it up. If you can a picture of the build sheet, post that up as well. These contain all the information about the car.

Oh! Eye candy request. Pictures of the car please.

Yes, always remember the three Ps of FABO

Pictures
Plymouths
Punctuation

Of course that is tongue in cheek but you will find most people are more prone to reply to your post if they are easy to read

-
Back