just a question about improving handling

-

m-wellbaum

Reaction score
i remember having read somwhere that chevelle handling could be improved by using suspension parts out of say a 95 caprice i was wondering if this could be done with a duster or some other mopar a-bodies

Yes, you can do similar things to make an A body handle just as well or better than the Chevelles. There are a few members here that have their cars set up fo handling, rather than the traditional go-fast-in-a-straight-line like most of us. I'm sure some of them will chime in and give you some excellent advice for what you have in mind.

I'm by no means an expert, but to use your example, since many suspension components are the same or similar across models there are really only a few variables you can play with - at least with swapping stock parts: Torsion bar diameter, rear spring packs, and sway bars. The aftermarket opens up a host of other opportunities.

But like OldVart says, there's a lot you can do to improve handling.

Installing big front and rear sway bars with SS springs and truck shocks in the back and appropriately sized tires all around made mine into a completely different car.

It handles very well, but some might not like the level of firmness in the suspension. Could be rather tiring on a long trip, but that's not what it's intended for so..

also using tubular upper control arms for more camber and caster adjustment helps a great deal in corner handling. however you drive it, what you setup that is strong one way may show its weaknesses another way. remember to think system.

dont get me wrong i want the power for the sraight line i just was wondering if a duster could be modified to corner well too so it would be easier to take a high speed turn im thinking about getting a duster to fix up with my dad as my first project car and im just tryin to get as much info as i can about modifications i could make before i decide for sure

You don't say where you're starting from with the Duster. Anti-sway bars fore and aft, stiffer shocks, wider rims and tires are all straight forward bolt-on improvements.
Polygraphite suspension bushings are very cost effective but require dismantling the front end. Many will recommend stiffer T-bars and rear leaf springs. I am hesitant go along with it for a cruiser or daily driver. My experience with stiffer springs has been that while the transition from stuck to sliding occurs at a higher rate of speed, advance warning of the transition is not real distinct.
I'm running 235/60-15s on 7 inch rims on the Demon with soft springs, stiff shocks, bushings, and bars. The rear tires run close to the rear leaf springs. If I start seeing any rubbing, I'll put a Watts link on the rear. A track bar (Panhard rod) will also stabilize the axle, but will respond differently between left and right turns.

Dippy cop car rear sway bar is an easy install once you modify the spring plate. The rear bar really helps.

There is a good book that covers this subject as well as updating brakes all just by using factory parts... run a google search, I don't think you can buy it in stores.

Performance Handling for Classic Mopars by Tom Conrad.

Poly bushings, sway bars fr. and rear, KYB shocks or equal and xhd springs made all of mine handle as good as my 05 ram.

Ace,
You mentioned using a set of truck shocks in the rear. Do you know which application that was?
Thanks,
C

Mopar Action magazine put together an A body for handling and straight line. Called it the green brick. You could probably do a search for info on it on their site. Yes, just looked and the front page of the website has a link for the green brick. From what I remember of it they used moog problem solver upper control arm bushings, urethane strut rod bushings, welded a gusset on the upper control arm mounts and perhaps a few other mount points to keep things in place, used '74 up C body tie rods and sleeves, a front swaybar (could just probably buy one of the aftermarket ones really), put in frame connectors, larger torsion bars, koni shocks, some decambered springs in the back with clamps with a forward angled set of shocks added. Basically you have four shocks in the back. A fast ratio manual steer box. Basically it. Mostly factory swap parts from what I remember. Usual disc brakes up front etc. Might have missed a few bits, but have a look at the link. I've not clicked it, but should give the info. If I remember right they were ripping up mega dollar exotic cars at the track with it and when they ran it at the strip I think it ran in the 12's. I'm sure someone can chime in and correct that time if I remembered wrong.

Check out these guys too. They have a lot of neat products for our A-bodies and have some good tech tips too. http://www.firmfeel.com/a.htm

Also, don't forget about frame connectors and a roll bar to prevent chassis flex.

There is a good book that covers this subject as well as updating brakes all just by using factory parts... run a google search, I don't think you can buy it in stores.

Performance Handling for Classic Mopars by Tom Conrad.

Tom Condran

-
Back