Just blew 500 bucks on Megasquirt

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Been thinking "for awhile" to play around with a MS unit..........

OrderSummary.jpg

USB adapter is because factory is serial port

Wiring bundle is to build own harness. Yeh. I know. Overpriced

The main box has the "mapdaddy4" upgrade which is a dual map sensor

Extra box connectors and cover shell I thought I might need, they were cheap

The JimStim is a board you can simulate sensor changes and ignition triggers for bench testing

Have not checked into software for about a year. Last I knew it came with free software, but did not "auto tune." That is / was about 50? bucks extra

Now I need to find a working printer (I don't have a "working" one) so I can print out all the BS

Nice, I have been doing some reading on the mega squirt stuff, seems the way to go to me. Sloppy mechanics on youtube does a really good job explaining some the different boxes you can buy.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
While $500 is a lot of cash where I come from, it's a drop in the bucket for how much money can go out the door in this hobby. If you're able to take advantage of the capabilities, it will be worth every penny.

Can you tell us a bit about the engine set up that this will be managing?

Didnt know ms was still around, has to be at least 15 years. Holley has a 1500 dollar kit, interested to see how it turns out.

A friend runs Megasquirt on his slant six daily driver and also on his drag car. Has been for at least 10 years now. He's a happy camper.

Didnt know ms was still around, has to be at least 15 years. Holley has a 1500 dollar kit, interested to see how it turns out.

You're absolutely right. MS was one of the options I looked at when building my turbocharged Miata back in 2006-2007. I ended up going with the "Hydra Nemesis" ECU because it offered more adjustment on fuel maps, etc but in retrospect, the MS would have been more than good enough.

Is the Mega Squirt exactly the same as it was back then? I'd have to guess that some improvements have been made over the years.

MS is just getting bigger and bigger. Look it up, LOL. The one big disadvantage for me is that MS can "add up." The relay box is extra, I'll likely "build" that separate. The O2 sensor and controller is separate, that's 200 more bucks right there. But the ONE BIG THING about MS is that you can "fix" it if it breaks. The Holley (which I have and ran) is sealed, unrepairable. Someone actually sent me a problem child Dominator ECU. The potting material resembles JB weld!!!

To put this in perspective, this is "not really" 500 bucks. More like 700-750, and that's with some "conditions."

That's because the Holley comes with O2 built in, the MS you must add a complete O2 sensor and controller

I think the bare Holley HP is around 1200, but I paid about 1300? for the HP and harness to upgrade my old Commander TBI setup to essentially what amounts to a Terminator...in other words 4bbl TBI and HP computer

The BIG cost is O2........which is wh

its just money.....a year from now, money you spend now won't mean anything anyway so you might as well have fun.

you are fun to watch lol, keep us posted. :)

Funny, you are building efi systems, and im getting tired of troubleshooting fuel injection and all these new fangled engines. I just wanna play with carbureted stuff. 4200 dollar scan tool so i can keep up, not a big enough shop to utilize its full potential.
Gimme a 2bbl carter and im happy.

Funny, you are building efi systems, and im getting tired of troubleshooting fuel injection and all these new fangled engines. I just wanna play with carbureted stuff. 4200 dollar scan tool so i can keep up, not a big enough shop to utilize its full potential.
Gimme a 2bbl carter and im happy.

To each his own, if I never see another V8 carb engine I will be happy, LOL. I figure "the more I know" I've already fixed a couple of minor problems on the now gone Ranger(s) (2 of em) a couple of sensors on the Dodge, etc.

If I was starting from "scratch" I might have considered FI or more likely Holley Sniper.

The big downside of MS for me is that "things add up" and the "path" to understanding is STILL confusing. Hell I don't even understand what version board I'm gonna get

The big downside to Holley is that the ECU is potted like JB weld and unrepairable

This one is more to play with and learn, and also "might be" for the Hilborn setup "if I live long enough"

You guys ARE NOT GONNA GUESS what Del scored!!!

complete-jpg.jpg

That's awesome! You will learn a ton along the way! You didn't just buy a fuel injection computer, You bought a puzzle too!

Cley

-
Back