Just bought a 340 Duster sight unseen!

-
Sweet ride,
What are your plans for it?

I've taken a slow start on this original 340/4sp car. I've decoded the fender tag but still cant figure out whether the rear spoiler is original. I'll attach the decode here and hopefully someone can help me out.

My first order of business was getting a Florida title and that went well. now I am relocating the leaf springs back to the stock position. They had been relocated inboard of the subframe and were interfering with the fuel tank. Once thats done I plan to ditch the electric fuel pump after I get a new tank......... I have plenty of details to attend to but will probably keep the car close to stock and stay with the current Cragars as delivered to me. I would like to trade the existing 4.11 SG chunk for a 3.23/355/373.

George in North Florida........

1972 Plymouth Duster – Detroit, MI

VS29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Special
2 Door Sports Hardtop

H2B: 340 240HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

113081: Sequence number

E55: 340 cid 4 barrel V8 275hp
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission
FE5: Red Exterior Color
D2X9: Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
803: Build Date: August 03
086412: Order number

FE5: Red Top Color
U: USA Specifications
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
N23: Electronic Ignition System
N41: Dual Exhaust
N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips

R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V6X: Longitudinal Stripes, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
EN2: End of Sales Codes

If that's the complete fender tag info, no, the spoiler was not original to the car from the factory.

Congratulations on your purchase !
It pleases me greatly that the transaction was smooth ; that the sale was between two FABO members ; and that both parties have brought-to-forum their accolades for each other .

Though it's a moot point now , I feel it's at least worth mentioning :
Judging by your Duster's build date ( "scheduled" date ) , I can't help but wonder if it was originally equipped with a left over , high compression '71 340 ?
I've heard about this being done , and have read maybe 2 articles about two different 1972 "A" bodies that had the left over high compression 340's ; a 1972 Demon and a 1972 Duster .

It surprises me that your Duster's fender tag is apparently lacking a radiator-width sales code ( should be either a "22" or "26" ) , as well as an upper body ( e.g. , roof ) colour code ( either a vinyl top or paint code ) .
Naturally , this doesn't take away from the fact that you've got a great car there !

I feel pretty certain that this car came originally from the factory with the spoiler as does the SELLER. He was supposed to get more documentation when he bought the car but the seller dropped the ball. We both agree that since this car also has the correct TRUNK LID and HARDWARE to mount the spoiler that it is original. I doubt someeone would go to the trouble to change the lid along with adding the spoiler.

Whats interesting? The fact that this car does have the large radiator and that it was not on the tag. ...............This leads me to believe the idea that the car had two tags and one is missing. SInce I cant find a build sheet, I dont guess there is any other way to verify these assumptions., so, its not a big deal to me as I AM NOT A NUMBERS GUY, but I am Curious George, so yes, It would be nice to know for sure.

George in North FLorida: where the sun shined all day and the temps were in the mid sixties- yes, I worked on the DUSTER!

After looking at the fender tag ( photo of the one the you sent to me via e-mail ) pic , and considering variables , I've come to the ( arguable ) conclusions that :

- the wing was dealer-installed when car was less than 1 year old ;
- factory did a "build out" of their existing 1971 parts ( the same way that very early 1972 340-powered cars had the aforementioned leftover high-comp '71 motors ) .
If , indeed , the wing was installed on-line , perhaps only the buildsheet will reveal this , as a hand-written addition , under "remarks" .

-
Back