Just bought a convertible chrysler lebaron

-

AUSSIE DART

Reaction score
G'day all
well i need advice ..... i just bought a 84 chrsyler lebaron convertible :lol:, , i just had to have it ....it is a different beast to my 66 dodge dart convert , the le baron is way way ugly beige paint and fake wood grain...butt ugly , but cool at the same time ...so being in australia i think there are not many about in these parts of the world ,which made me want it even more :D. it had not been running for years ,(yep a real barn find! ha ha ha !!!!) after i cleaned it up , removed tons of rat poo , new battery /fuel fired it up and it cruises real fine!!! ..4clinder auto , gutless , but its still cool ! any way i need a few bits for it to get it registered ..i have found a new top for it +carpet easy !!! but i need a front passenger seat , its missing ,:scratch: seat belt, etc ....???? i have my parts fowarder in califorina so is anyone partin one out???? or can give me sum advice or mental help???:D:D:D

mr aussie dart

3404speed probably has one.

I always thought It would be kinda hip to have one or those.

Does It have the 2.2 chrysler motor or the dreaded 2.6 mitsibishi motor??? Or pehaps somethin different cause its an export???

Got any pics???

Did it belong to John Voight? LOL

seinfeld.jpg

Very familiar with them. Had a couple myself back in the day.
What size engine? If its a 2.2 the wrist pins will rattle, but its just the nature of the beast. Keep the carb cleaned out. other than that, those things are tanks, can't kill 'em.
oh yeah, the top will leak, but will keep you mostly dry. More annoying than anything.

well here is a pic , it is lhd , i dont know how it got to australia but its here, how do i tell if it is a 2.6 l or 2.2 motor???

Attachments

• lebaron1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 332
Give us a pic of the motor,....from here it looks like a 2.6 mitsubishi,Carb is in the front,...they're ok till the carb acts up,...very expensive, if you can find one,...

Also known for a front engine rattle, usually caused by loose timing tensioner/chain(s) assenbly,...you can adjust this, but if its really obnoxious ya gotta put some parts in em,...made a buttload of money off these back inna day,....

...and lets not forget about those digital dash clusters,...hope your works....

The good??? They're kinda fun,...I'm sure some members here can help you with parts,...

I haven't seen one of these in New England for quite some time,...prolly since the late 90's,....long since rusted away,...

Oh yeah,...DON'T open the doors if its on a single post lift,...the body will flex just enough so's you won't be able to close em till its onna ground ..

Give us a pic of the motor,....from here it looks like a 2.6 mitsubishi,Carb is in the front,...they're ok till the carb acts up,...very expensive, if you can find one,...

Also known for a front engine rattle, usually caused by loose timing tensioner/chain(s) assenbly,...you can adjust this, but if its really obnoxious ya gotta put some parts in em,...made a buttload of money off these back inna day,....

...and lets not forget about those digital dash clusters,...hope your works....

The good??? They're kinda fun,...I'm sure some members here can help you with parts,...

I haven't seen one of these in New England for quite some time,...prolly since the late 90's,....long since rusted away,...

Oh yeah,...DON'T open the doors if its on a single post lift,...the body will flex just enough so's you won't be able to close em till its onna ground ..

thanks for the advice mate !! :D i think my motor is a 2.6 , and would you believe it i runs great! the carb has no issues...but my dash mmmmmm , the speedo just reads "0" zero when i drive ...so ya think it dead/stuffed /catus????? .......as for parts i really need a front passenger seat (its missing:help:, so anyone willing to send one to california to my parts fowarder i would be happy to buy it .....brown color or wot ever.....:tongue8:

yak soon

I have one of those things.It has 25,000 miles on it.the old lady gave ma every receipt for it. Needs a top .It is black and tan.love that car but I can't find parts for it. Mark

The common joke for that car was "it will look better once its out of the shipping crate".
The carbs were Minuki or something like that. The choke spring was so strong it would eat away the shaft bores in the carb. Webber made a conversion carb that worked great on them.
The cars were often seen on the roads with the top and door windows down and the quarter windows remained up. That's because the panels would fill with water and ruin the quarter windows motors and regulators. Owners learned to leave them up at all times. I once saw solid ice fills in both of those panels.
What's inside the rear brake drums is the pissyest excuse for brake hardware I have ever seen.

They are still fun,.....Check the drains beneath the quarter windows and make sure they are not plugged,....

A Mikuni carb that works??? Nice...

I believe any later "k" platform car will have a seat,...prolly won't be leather tho...

We used to have a contact at the dealership that we sent the dash clusters to for repair, but that was many moons ago,....If the speedo reads "0" ,ya might wanna try a speed sensor just fer gits and shiggles....

-
Back