Just bought my first Dart.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bought a 1968 Dart GT. I am planning to drop in a new 5.7 Hemi in it, anyone know of others doing the same that might share some advice?

Its a 1968 Dart GT Originally a 225/S6, now 318 4bbl, soon getting a 5.7 Hemi, it has a 727 Trans, 73 K-frame, 73 disc brakes, b-body 8 3/4 rear, originally a TT1 green car, now a horrible and flaking Ford green. I am thinking about painting it the original TT1, but I am also playing with the idea of painting it Red.

000_0025.jpg

000_0017.jpg

392challengerside_450a.jpg
Mancini should have some tips and extras for this deal. Sounds like fun for sure. Did ya see the Super Stock concept Challenger with the new 392 Hemi? Three different versions of the new 392 are available from Mopar:
• P5153604 392 HEMI Crate Engine – Carbureted, 540 horsepower and 490 lb.-ft of torque
• P5253605 392 HEMI Crate Engine – SEFI, 525 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque
• P5153603 392 HEMI Long Block HEMI Crate Engine
392 Hemi Challenger

i am installing a 5.7 in my 73'. ill be fabricating the motor mounts over christmas..ill let you know how it goes :toothy7:

ibleedmoparts said:
i am installing a 5.7 in my 73'. ill be fabricating the motor mounts over christmas..ill let you know how it goes :toothy7:

Why not just buy the Schumaker mounts and TTI headers?

mguner said:
392challengerside_450a.jpg
Mancini should have some tips and extras for this deal. Sounds like fun for sure. Did ya see the Super Stock concept Challenger with the new 392 Hemi? Three different versions of the new 392 are available from Mopar:
• P5153604 392 HEMI Crate Engine – Carbureted, 540 horsepower and 490 lb.-ft of torque
• P5253605 392 HEMI Crate Engine – SEFI, 525 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque
• P5153603 392 HEMI Long Block HEMI Crate Engine
392 Hemi Challenger

You must have mistaken me for someone with money. I plan on a 5.7 truck motor with TTI Headers, 6.1 cam, and a few minor mods.

because 73 and up have spool mounts and to the best of my knowledge they arent available yet for this conversion. I have seen an abundance of pre 73 mounts available but no spoolies. everyone says ill have to chunk the power steering but ill get around that too. anyways ill probably just take a /6 k member, cut the perches off and move accordingley so i dont butcher my V8 k member

Nice looking car man, just the way it is. I would drive it for a bit first THEN decide exactly what you want to do. You don't really know until you own it for a while.

65s I totaly agre and that is a fine 68 dart gt.
flyboy01 don't take this nice car for granted,It is grate like it is.
main thing is do what make's you happy and keep us posted.
Glad you found this grate site memike

Welcome aboard flyboy01. That's a very nice looking Dart you found there, especially for a first time Dart owner. You might want to do something with your rear springs though, and get rid of those long shackles. :)

OK, you forced me to show you the other side of the car. Even though it looks good in some pictures, the paind has faded badly from the Texas sun, the clearcoat is about 50% gone, the car has been sitting for 8 years outside, even though there is almost no rust-through except for the pass rear 1/4, there is a lot of surface rust. The headliner is falling down, the carpet is ugly green patio carpet, and the brakelines and tires are dry-rotted. The engine, k-member, and rear are not original.

I bought this car to fix up, I am going to start tearing it down this weekend to get it ready for paint, I will probably drop out the k-member to clean that up. I will probably rebuild the whole suspension also. I need to get wheels and tires and rubber brake lines right away to be able to drive it.

I am a hot rodder at heart and whatever I do, it will run at least 12's. FOr now the engine will probably stay (with a minor tune-up) since it is sound, but I am 80% sure I am putting in a 5.7 Hemi, but there is still a 20% possibility that it will get a 408 stroker. My buddy is trying to convince me to drop in a 440, but that will comprimise the handling. WHichever route I go, it will have fuel injection and overdrive. My plan is to get the bodywork and paint done before spring, engine next summer.

000_0013.jpg

000_0021.jpg

11190009.JPG

000_0027.jpg

11190022.JPG

That car is in grate shape for a 68 and you are on the write track. :thumbup:
injoy that fine ride flyboy01.
wish I had one gust like it. keep us posted and thank's for your post,good job.
glad to see there are some good car's owned by good folk's :burnout:
memike northeast Arkansas

Well the wheels look good, so you should just need new tires on them. Brakes - get em done. :) Headliner and carpet are easily changed, and you can also remove the engine, clean up the K-Member, do the front end, then put everything back together. Leaving the 318 in there and keeping it mobile while the body and paint is being completed is an excellent idea. Keep it there until such time as you have any and all parts on hand to upgrade to your next engine. It's easier to keep up the interest level in building a car if it at leasts runs and you can enjoy driving it every now and then. Good luck.

My 5.7 does a 13.43 quarter at 108.00 weighing in at 4,309 with me in it and 3/4 tank of gas.

Should run a but quicker in a car that's almost 1,000 lbs lighter.

th_WhiskeyCafe090906006.jpg
th_WhiskeyCafe090906005.jpg
th_WhiskeyCafe090906002.jpg
th_WhiskeyCafe090906001.jpg

(Of course I was just kidding about being a donor - Unless you have $ 35K you want to part with)

ps the mystery car under the cover is a '66 Chevy Impala SS convertible-anyone interested?)

OldVart said:
Well the wheels look good, so you should just need new tires on them. Brakes - get em done. :) Headliner and carpet are easily changed, and you can also remove the engine, clean up the K-Member, do the front end, then put everything back together. Leaving the 318 in there and keeping it mobile while the body and paint is being completed is an excellent idea. Keep it there until such time as you have any and all parts on hand to upgrade to your next engine. It's easier to keep up the interest level in building a car if it at leasts runs and you can enjoy driving it every now and then. Good luck.

I really hate them myself, I want to get a set of sttel wheels w/dog dish hubcaps.

Well, since it's already been upgraded to the large 5x4.5" bolt pattern, you have an almost unlimited selection of wheels to choose from. Just make sure you get the backspacing correct with that B body rear end under there, especially if you're using stock type steel wheels.

-
Back