Just for laughs 150.00$ 1967 383

-
Some clarifications...
The 440 rod is longer than the B wedge rods because of the deck height varience between B and RB.
The six pac rod as a unit is weaker. Only the rod beam section is stronger because it's thicker. Unfortunately the weakest point of any rod is the bolt bosses and the bolts themselves. Six pac rods use the same 5/16 bolts and nuts aas the LYs, but they are a lot heavier. So the small bolt has more weight to hold. So overall the LY rod is stronger.

In terms of this build - I'd get a set of B wedge rods and use available parts to rebuild it assuming the lifter bores are intact and the rest of the block isn't cracked.

440-6 rods are stronger because of the increased power or Chrysler wouldn't have spent money producing them. Rod length is not a problem as there is plenty of compression height left on the piston along with deck height. Check rosspistons.com or diamondpistons.com for pistons to fit this combination. Longer rod length means less wall/skirt loading along with increased dwell time at TDC for more power but shorter rod length might be advantageous for less dwell time at TDC depending on combination i.e. cast iron heads.

Not at the moment . working on my 1996 jeep and saving cash to move forward on 383 . ju7st installed locker and now blowing off steam bashing around in the mud.

I don't suppose anything else ever came of this..?
No a lot happening at the moment sand blasting all parts and gathering parts for build , money,money,money, . Will update where i,m at in the next few days with pictures to boot.

A little warm up that way right now isn't it? Bet sandblasting is a lot of fun, have to drink several cold ones to wash the dust down I bet.

A little warm up that way right now isn't it? Bet sandblasting is a lot of fun, have to drink several cold ones to wash the dust down I bet.
lol no its not fun but time is what i have , and my buds blast box is free sooo.

440-6 rods are stronger because of the increased power or Chrysler wouldn't have spent money producing them.

As a person who's "been there" I'm not sure I agree. "Back in the day" when mine came apart, the first thing guys asked me was "is this a six pack?" and "Was it the no 6 rod?" Evidently the sixpacks had a reputation for spitting out the no6.

Why would some throw #6 rod? Seems like a rod problem would affect all or any of them and not just #6. An oiling problem on the other hand might affect just one I would think.

-
Back