Just picked this up

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
I just picked up a big block 727
I am curious if the yolk on the tail needs to be removed or can I get a driveline made for that.

Also, will my 904 driveline fit this tranny and yolk with a shortening or do I need to get another from a factory 727 car with and 8 3/4 rear.

If you have a flange on the rear for the old ball and trunion u-joint you will need to replace the mainshaft and perhaps the tailhousing. It's an expensive place to start, especially since it will also be a cable shift unit.

Can you post a picture of the trans?
If there is an actual yoke type flange on the rear that takes a U joint, it's probably a truck or motor home trans with the short tail housing. It's pretty difficult to make this work in a car.
You would at least need a custom drive shaft. The best solution is to either get another trans from a car or a 727 A engine trans and swap the front housing.

Here is the 727 and 440 that came with it.

I did not realize it but the yolk pulls right out. I think it was left in there so the trans would not leak.
This was why I was confused because I thought I was buying a proper car long tailshaft 727 and I didnt think they came with a fixed yolk on them. only the short motorhome ones did.

This unit it supposed to be a runner though its been sitting for 6 years in dry storage.

I plan to flush it a couple times once she's in. Any other suggestions??

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 226
for the trans if there is any fluid in it now just tip it up on the tailshaft (with yoke out) in a bucket and drain it. next remove the pan and replace the filter. you should fill it after you get in in the hotrod and that will do it, no need to flush it out at all.

Looks like you done good! I'm not sure you would want to run that damper weight on the extension housing though. There are 2 U-joint sizez used with 727s, can't tell from the pic which 1 you have, but the smaller of the 2 is the same as your 904 shaft. If that's the case you can use the 727 yoke and just have your driveshaft shortened.
If it's the large 1, I'd get a large yoke for the 8 3/4 too and have a drive shaft made.
That would be way stronger with the 440.

That is what I was thinking. I was trying to find a driveline at the yard that had a 727 and 8 3/4 ends so I could just have it shortened and balanced.
I will check the yolk size. My 8 3/4 rear has the small bolt pattern axles so I would not be surprised if it is the smaller yolk size.

-
Back